Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help: BSOD

1. Help: BSOD

Ok, I got my new computer all put together, and everything seems to be working. Then I boot win xp from the cd, it starts to work, then suddenly goes to the BSOD.

It says 0x0000007b. It says to run chkdsk and check for viruses, but this is a brand new setup- can I even run chkdsk without an os installed?

What did I do wrong?

2. Your best bet is probably going to be formatting the hard disk and re-installing from scratch. (if the drive isn't damaged).

We're having the same problem with a machine this week over at the lady-friend's house. Here's the link we came up with:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...r_corrupt.html

Though that page is primarily about what to do if your system file is missing, it's got a good deal of info about dealing with issues with XP when you can't get into the OS.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 14 Dec 2007 at 01:58 PM.

3. booting from the disc to do a reformat cigs? normally any blue screen at the Windows install means a ram problem. some mobo's prefer only one stick in or a ram stick can be bad. there's also the possibility (as was the case with my new build) that the default setting for your memory voltage is lower than what your memory requires.

without knowing the ENTIRE stop code it's hard to pin it down.

http://kadaitcha.cx/stop_err.html

you can run chkdsk without an OS installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_Console

Using the Recovery Console
    When using the Windows Recovery Console, the CHKDSK command can use the following options:
    /P Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors. /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Note: If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.
    Last edited by Dyne; 14 Dec 2007 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Ok, I got my new computer all put together, and everything seems to be working. Then I boot win xp from the cd, it starts to work, then suddenly goes to the BSOD.

It says 0x0000007b. It says to run chkdsk and check for viruses, but this is a brand new setup- can I even run chkdsk without an os installed?

What did I do wrong?
    On my new setup I was never able to install XP. Same exact error. Tried everything, then bought Vista and installed fine. Actually, Vista installed so well that it decided that it should irreparably damage itself 3 times so that it could show me how well it installs.

What are your specs?
    Last edited by Mykozo; 14 Dec 2007 at 02:10 PM.

5. This is the first time trying to install windows. It happens right after windows setup loads all the files. Full code:

0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I don't know if this helps, but in the bios the correct amount of ram, the hard drive etc. are all recognized and correct (seemingly). I just put in the one 2GB stick in the first slot.

6. memtest86 is your friend. A quick google will find the program for you. It tests your memory. If you have multiple sticks test them one at a time.

7. Ok, I ran the memtest thing from a boot cd, and it lists a bunch of errors. Is it useful to list them, or do any errors showing up mean the ram is bad?

edit, Mykozo- Intel core2duo 2.66ghz, 2GB ram, 500GB sata hd

8. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Ok, I ran the memtest thing from a boot cd, and it lists a bunch of errors. Is it useful to list them, or do any errors showing up mean the ram is bad?

edit, Mykozo- Intel core2duo 2.66ghz, 2GB ram, 500GB sata hd
    not necessarily bad but like i said MAYBE not getting enough power since that sounds like my same problem. double check what voltage your board is giving the ram. i upped mine by .25v and had no problems after.

ddr2 pc800 ram (is this for the build we discussed the other week?) is supposed to be at 1.8v.

9. Yes, same build. I bought all of those parts. I just swapped out that stick for the other (bought 2x2GB so I can go Vista 64 if I want) and same result. I'm reading the manual to see about changing the voltage.