Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aliens

1. Nice to see more ALien 3 fans on this board. This movie gets bashed alot unfairly.

2. I like the original Alien the best. In fact, it's one of my Top 5 favorite movies of all time. The best atmosphere, the best story, the best cast (can't imagine a better group of people for this picture), the sheer terror (FACT: Other than John Hurt, none of the other cast were clued into the chest-bursting scene. Their reactions are REAL! Check out Veronica Cartwright; she was absolutely mortified!). The direction in this film is pure mastery. If you look closely in the Nostromo's backgrounds, you'll see the Alien hiding among pipes, tubing, etc. He was always nearby.. The lighting was some of the best I've seen in any movie, in any genre. This (and Blade Runner) are sci-fi films done to near-perfection.

Aliens was good but it lacked atmosphere that the original LV-246 and the Nostromo provided. While Aliens had a great cast (good chemistry, but not as close-knit as the original Alien crew), I never felt the soldiers were in any real danger. It was Rambo vs. the Viet Cong all over again. You knew how it was going to end, but enjoyed the sheer testosterone of it all. I agree with the comment that Cameron is not a great director, however, the Alien Queen sequence at the end was very well done. Stan Winston is the star of this movie. And Vasquez was HOT ::runs::

Alien 3 was pretty good. Loved the Dog Alien. My favorite scene in the whole movie is only 1 second long; the part where the Dog Alien dashes between two adjoining corridors to chase one of the inmates. It just illustrated how swift and sleek this Alien was. I didn't really feel for any of the characters because ALL of them were A**holes, except Dutton. (side note: this guy is good in EVERY movie he's in, no matter how bad the actual movie is ::coughLOWDOWNDIRTYSHAMEcough:: They never had a snowball's chance in hell. I liked the fact that Ripley was finally infected (can't believe I didn't see that coming) and that she was willing to kill herself to get rid of it. They could've left out that entire Bishop-creator, evil bio-engineer bit. It really wasn't needed. Overall, Alien 3 was good, but not as good as Alien or Aliens.

Ripley is DEAD. Deal with it and move on. Alien Resurrection could have been SO much better than it turned out. RIPLEY WAS NOT NEEDED. Her story ended perfectly. Winona's character (or a survived Newt) should've carried this movie. And these Aliens are mere shadows of the all the Aliens that came before them. They were nowhere near as mobile as in other movies (except the obvious CG Aqua-Aliens - best scene in the movie). The Queen looked ridiculous, the Offspring was pathetic and Ripley's entire role in the movie was contrived. It could've gone in several different, exciting directions, but totally fell apart after Ripley discovers the failed cloning that was done on her.

More does not equal better in the case of the Alien Saga. Throwing hundreds of Aliens and victims, er.. humans in the same movie takes away from the terrifying efficiency and tact of the Aliens. It also takes away from the human characters because we don't care about them, just the Aliens. I would like to see one more Alien film, with just ONE Alien and NO military troops, possibly on Earth, but in a very restrictive and confining environment. Like Alien 3, but with characters who aren't all idiots. I doubt it would turn out better than the original, but it will certainly be better than Aliens and Resurrection.

3. this has always been one of my favorite series and I'm thinking it should continue. To me, the first film was more of a monster stalking you in the dark type of flick and was without a doubt, the best horror film in the legacy. I did like how well Cameron did with the sequel and was absolutly everything I was expecting. Now part 3 I could say was totally gothic, perfect setting for the final days of Riply, so in a way, it was like reliving the nightmare of the first film, only seeing that she had to sacrifice herself at the end was the sad part. I thought we would have to start off with a new character (which the series really needs to continue). I'm just ticked off that newt was killed in the crash at the beginning, totally betrayed the books that were written after part 2 which carries on with Wayne Hicks and Newt having to still fight the threat. Now part 4 was what really got me, I loved everything that was shown and the new style for how more "up front" the terror was really made some scenes stand out. Sadly, it's not able to stand up to Cameron's work becuase of the way it was directed. Also, if you read the original script that was written, you'd see that the newborn was more "spider-like" and the ending had lead to landing all the way on the serface with that thing still clinging on the ship, only to have the Riply clone have to fight it and kill it with some kinda farm equipment.
    What I'm really not starting to like is that with every sequel, it gets less scary and is now starting to gain more "dramatic" tones to it rather then keeping the sense that somebody could be killed when you never expect it. the music in part 4 was perfect, but when you see the fights, just listen to it, then start trying to "slightly blank out" the music with what you'd hear from part 2 and see how it affects the feel, silence and unnerving tones is what makes a horror scene stand out stronger then to have just some background music blairing for the dramatic moment. I think if part 5 is made, it should work with 2 things, 1) character development like we've seen from either the first 2 films (the first one had more realistic character/human interaction while I guess aliens may feel set up) and 2) make this film "PURE HORROR"! Heck, if you want a real horror feel with aliens, you could play alienvspredator for pc, but you could also try alien resurrection for psx. That intro fits with the preview from the very first film's style and if the film were to play like this, I might have shit my pants! But playing that game really gives you a scared feeling that you should watch your back.
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...