Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32424445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

1. At what point do we start talking about Jackson like Lucas. Lucas may have ruined Star Wars, but it was his shit to ruin.

2. Since when the Hobbit was announced to be three movies.

3. Jackson was never as good as Lucas. All of his movies except the first LotR are plodding and joyless. King Kong, too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Jackson was never as good as Lucas. All of his movies except the first LotR are plodding and joyless. King Kong, too.
    I just don't think people have fully examined how big a pile of shit these Hobbit movies are. LOTR is a really popular series a lot of people really liked. Before the release of the first Hobbit they were supposedly going to change filmmaking forever (48fps etc). Now nobody cares. Maybe that's because they are so shitty.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I just don't think people have fully examined how big a pile of shit these Hobbit movies are.
    Any time I run across the random adult who enjoyed the movies they want to know what I didn't like and saying, "Aside from Bilbo vs. Gollum and Bilbo vs. Smaug, nothing," isn't good enough. I almost want to re-watch and take notes of what specifically bothered me but then I'd have to sit through them again. Stuff I still remember, though: Desolation had that awful barrel scene, both had the awful Radagast stuff… Gandalf going to face Sauron… Legolas... the dwarves being turned into the Crumps. I mean, where do you start, really?

6. Well when you're working under a studio mandate to stretch a single 300 page children's book into a trilogy of 3-hour+ epics...

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

7. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    stretch a single 300 page children's book into a trilogy of 3-hour+ epics...
    Ah yes, you just reminded me of that awful moving mountain scene in the first movie! Where our heroes were taken on a thrilling - but ultimately harmless - ride on the leg of a mountain creature.

That stupid scene came from this single line:

When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang.

8. God damn, a bunch of sandy vag's all up in here. These movies are just fine for what they are, and are DEFINITELY better than whatever shit Marvel is scraping from the bottom of the barrel. It's the fucking Hobbit, with wizards, dragons and gay ass elves, what do you expect?

9. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Jackson was never as good as Lucas. All of his movies except the first LotR are plodding and joyless. King Kong, too.
    Someone hasn't seen Dead Alive or The Frighteners.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    It's the fucking Hobbit, with wizards, dragons and gay ass elves, what do you expect?
    You're probably trolling but in case not: Less little kid action. The Hobbit was a story for kids but it was still handled without being cutesy or cloying. Let me try to find a better way to articulate it…

So with the above-mentioned scenes, there's no emotional connection (?). Barrels Out of Bond: You're just watching these things happening - barrels bouncing around, arrows being shot, etc. - and it's kind of just a showcase instead of real "danger." Whereas in the book (and the parts they just glossed over) you were edge of the seat about whether the elves were going to catch Bilbo. All of the "action" happened in the Elvenking's palace or whatever and the barrel ride was the breather.

Stone Giants: It's like 3 or 4 minutes of "whoaaaaoooaaaa!" with dramatic music.

This is actually the same problem I had with Frozen: At no point was anyone really in any believable danger. But, at least with the Disney movie, there was a "moral" of sorts to the nonsensical snow wilderness trek. We know what happens in The Hobbit, but this stuff was inserted for no real reason and to no real effect other than to pad the length or to make 12 year-olds say, "THAT WAS EPIC!" because slightly scary stuff was on screen.

I probably am being a curmudgeonly sandy vag but whatever.