Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question time: Does scotch tape destroy a CD?

Stupid Question time: Does scotch tape destroy a CD?

So I sold a copy of Shenmue (Jap LE) on ebay to some canuck for fifty five cents. Leaves me positive feedback, everything's ok.

I get this note from him today:
    im sorry to say this but you know you had put scotchtape on each cds the bad news is today i was going to try the game and when i pulled the tape the thin layer of information(shiny on the bottom of the cd)came with the scotch so the game is unusable now because you put scotch on it . i have picture please reply to my email address thx . its really frustrating can you do something about it like refund me (im crying )
    I've never heard of anything like this and initial searches turned up no evidence that this could happen. I've sent CDs and DVDs in the mail hundreds of times using tape to hold the discs in place and never had a problem.

The tape I applied was to the top of the discs. Any tape that ended up on the bottom wasn't from me.
    Last edited by dog$; 19 Dec 2007 at 09:10 AM.

2. Well if the tape was on the top it's possible to take off the coating, which could mess up the game (Though I had a game that played fine even missing some of the top coating). Though I don't think scotch tape is that strong to really take any with it.

Though as for the bottom, the cds should be plastic coated, so the tape wouldn't be removing any information (This is a very cockamamie idea if the person has any clue how real cds are made, I don't think this concept even works with a burnt cd). It would be any scratches from trying to remove the tape that would be the problem.

But honestly for I'd just refund the person because it isn't worth the hassle.

Just had to search a bit more for at least something similar: http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/qu...2221657AAlMJkk

Still seems unlikely to me. I love how yahoo answers basically have two statements which contradict each other in the answer, no matter what the question is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    But honestly for I'd just refund the person because it isn't worth the hassle.
    Actually I did plainly state in the auction's terms that there would be no returns offered, so I'm not willing to do this.

It cost him a total of $5 for the game and shipping. I can deal with more emails and bitching.

4. Bad form posting the dude's email.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

Oh, fine.

6. I was going to post that skit from the state with the people who have tape all over thier faces, but its not online anywhere. Damn you Viacom and your laywers.

7. Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    Still seems unlikely to me. I love how yahoo answers basically have two statements which contradict each other in the answer, no matter what the question is.
    I like how the girl said coding, did she mean coating? Because if not, I was this tape that can remove coding from stuff.

Honestly the guy just sounds like a jackass, and if you offer no refunds then well he is shit out of luck.

8. I'd say, in the future, just secure the disc between two thin pieces of cardboard and put the tape on that. Scotch tape seems to waver between barely-sticking to impossibly strong for no good reason.

9. You could tape the shit out of the bottom of a CD and do some experiments.

I would refund this person $.55. Or demand that he return ships so you can see the CD for yourself.

However, if this was a burned copy, I think I would just refund the guy and avoid any ugliness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

10. For 55 cents it's not even worth the time to think about it. Tell him congratulations, he's the cheapest person alive and ignore the emails.

Either that or tell him to return the cd for inspection and I'll bet you'll never hear from him again.