Page 1154 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 114011501152115311541155115611581168 ... LastLast
Results 11,531 to 11,540 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I
    Guns were furst banned to oppress minorities. Small handguns and machine guns were banned or restricted because they were common purchases for the black panthers.
    What?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. Cheeks is right, but y'all aint trying to hear it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    But it wasn't a car. How many instances of that do we have?

Also, I just see this as a Venn diagram really, the intersection between people that have the means and people that have the will is too high. It's obviously small, but we can do better.
    Like 3–4 terrorist attacks this year isn't enough? People talk about the utility of cars as if lawful gun owners aren't saying the exact same thing about something they use without killing hundreds every day.

I don't actually feel super strongly against a gun ban. I just see the logic as arbitrary and always from a position of fear. Do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    So why didn't he use those?
    Lots of car related terrorism lately. Prob had decent barricades (Toronto Int'l Film Festival had crazy barricading up around pedestrian zones of the city during the event).
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 03 Oct 2017 at 09:03 PM.

That was kind of my thought. The bombs were probably actually plan A. The event was right beside the road. He could have probably drove in at 30 to 50 mph, and after he hit the stage, detonated.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/medi...ter/index.html

So Russia was also making fake black activist facebook pages. This furthers the idea that they don't so much want to join sides with one side in the US, but get all sides to fight with each other.

6. Wtf is a Bump Stock? I've never heard that term, it's blowing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...er-bump-stock/

Holy shit, $99 full auto. Uhhhh that should not be legal. What are we doing.

8. Google
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Way ahead of you.

10. I was talking about this in chat, but I've been reading this topic on TNL all day and haven't had a chance to respond yet bc wow school is busy omg. Anyway. I'm super tired so if this doesn't make sense I'll try and clarify.

So, one of the courses I'm taking this quarter is Criminology, and it's taught by someone who has been doing research in the Criminal Justice field for many, many years, and of course when we got to class today we're like "OMG! VEGAS!" and picked her brain a bit. So, she passed along this theory to us, known as "The Riot" or "Threshold" theory. (It was kinda springboarded of Malcom Gladwell's theory of "the tipping point.") I found it really interesting and not something I'd really thought about analytically and in this context before, so I thought I'd pass it along.
    Anyway, after Columbine, we've had pretty consistent mass shootings. We don't know exactly why, but some social scientists put it like this. Say you're in a big group with 100 people or so, just doing normal stuff, talking, laughing, whatever. One guy picks up a rock and throws it at a window. Most of the group balks and is like, "wtf?" But then another guy says "fuck it! I'm gonna throw a rock too!" and he starts throwing rocks at windows. We know that for the second guy, his threshold was one person - i.e., all it took was one person committing an act of deviance that "gave him permission," socially, to start committing the act himself. And then say there's a person next to him, and he starts throwing rocks. His threshold of allowance was seeing two other people throw rocks. Pretty soon, more than half the group is throwing rocks, or 55% of the group, or 90% of the group, and on and on and on. Depending on what an individual's "Threshold" is, seeing one person, or 5 people, or however many people committing an act of deviance (or crime,) they will follow.
    So in the case of mass shooters, are we dealing with this threshold theory? Is every new shooter a case of someone hitting their individual threshold? My professor remarked that usually this threshold of mass violence can be compounded by mental or emotional issues, because obviously the social norm of not killing people is pretty strong. But if all these small things add up together - say, politics, a divorce, mental illness or lowered inhibitions, credit card debt, whatever the factors - and this is compounded with someone hitting their individual threshold....well, we get the Vegas shooter. I just thought that was a super fascinating way to look at it. It may be sort of well, duh type of thing, but I'd never heard it broken down that way before.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread