Page 770 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 756766768769770771772774784 ... LastLast
Results 7,691 to 7,700 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Oh it gets better as I was a History and International Studies double major. Hells yeah.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Yeah, I can't compete with that much wasted time and money, but now that you mention it I do recall that nugget from my latest visit to Ft. Sumter a few years back.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Oh it gets better as I was a History and International Studies double major. Hells yeah.
    Hah, I was a History and Poli-Sci double major. Just the worst!

4. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    In before Yoshi makes fun of Corey's history major instead of acknowledging any of his points and leaves the thread forever.
    Click for full size

Baltimore 1861 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Pretty sure the 6 southern states seceding LITERALLY started the war.
    This is a stretch. The north could have just gotten over it. The act of seceding in itself is not an act of war.

Lets step away from the emotionally charged civil war, and apply it to say, Alaska or Hawaii. Or maybe one of our territories. Say they just up and decide they aren't part of the US. "Welp, we's gotta war now" isn't necessarily the logical conclusion.

And you know I'm right on that. You'd say that someone coming on your property doesn't give you the right to shoot them without some other kind of context.

Succession is similar. It in itself is not a reason to declare war or kill people.

7. Yeah, tell me how many times in history part of a country up and deciding that they are now their own country and no longer a part of the former one didn't lead to war.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. After the states started seceding they seized federal property. They also fired on Fort Sumter. I think it's a real stretch to say the North unilaterally started the war. To be most charitable to the South is to say it was a messy situation and both sides agitated and made mistakes that led to it. But it was surely inevitable.

9. The North was never going to accept the legitimacy of the CSA and the South knew it needed a war to establish that legitimacy.

eh, federal property is a stretch. Forts were hardly the huge installations they are now. We're talking about asking northern solders to leave a pile of stone and logs.

But we can frame that in a modern context too. If a country we have a military base in, like Germany or something, just ups and decides that it wants us out, do you want to go to war over it? Are the air force bases in Germany worth the lives of 600,000 men?