Page 1290 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 127612861288128912901291129212941304 ... LastLast
Results 12,891 to 12,900 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

a video

and the science

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11007/

On a more subtle level, the phonetic structure of the language an individual hears during early life shapes both the perception and production of speech. Many of the thousands of human languages and dialects use appreciably different repertoires of speech elements called phonemes to produce spoken words (examples are the phonemes “ba” and “pa” in English). Very young human infants can perceive and discriminate between differences in all human speech sounds, and are not innately biased towards the phonemes characteristic of any particular language. However, this universal appreciation does not persist. For example, adult Japanese speakers cannot reliably distinguish between the /r/ and /l/ sounds in English, presumably because this phonemic distinction is not present in Japanese. Nonetheless, 4-month-old Japanese infants can make this discrimination as reliably as 4-month-olds raised in English-speaking households (as indicated by increased suckling frequency or head turning in the presence of a novel stimulus). By 6 months of age, however, infants show preferences for phonemes in their native language over those in foreign languages, and by the end of their first year no longer respond to phonetic elements peculiar to non-native languages. The ability to perceive these phonemic contrasts evidently persists for several more years, as evidenced by the fact that children can learn to speak a second language without accent and with fluent grammar until about age 7 or 8. After this age, however, performance gradually declines no matter what the extent of practice or exposure

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    dingle dang a gosh yahooley
    ok, bigot.

Your intolerance astounds me. The culture I grew up in impacts how I hear.

I should be tolerant of the intolerant? oy vey

So now you're appropriating Jewish culture?

6. Can you faggots take it to a room?

In other news, after reading Foucault, did we make a mistake making homosexual and transsexual desires identities we then label people by? Why are labels so important anyway? Are preferences from sex to music really more dominate to a character than physical or ability traits?

I’m still calling you faggots, though.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Wand wander won wonder just memorize every word and you’ll get it.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Can you faggots take it to a room?

In other news, after reading Foucault, did we make a mistake making homosexual and transsexual desires identities we then label people by? Why are labels so important anyway? Are preferences from sex to music really more dominate to a character than physical or ability traits?

I’m still calling you faggots, though.
    The thing is, the ruling picked those labels. They made policies that oppressed people for those characteristics. People grouped themselves as way to fight back or to be represented.

I think, and I hope, that it won't go away until the problem that caused it, goes away.

BUT, there is a good possibility that they will internalize the oppression and the resulting culture from this oppression as part of their heritage/culture and it won't go away.

Sadly, many oppressed people will never grow past their oppressed self. Its difficult to let go of and fully take hold of all the things that the ruling group has, even when there is nothing in the way. When something is all you know, its hard to do anything else, even when "else" is objectively better.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 06 Oct 2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Wand wander won wonder just memorize every word and you’ll get it.
    I'm not much of a memorizer.

10. Culture is moving away from that though with “pansexual” and “non-gender” identities at least blurring the lines. At the end of the day, these things are just desires and behaviors, not who you are. The only time it should be your identity or tribe is when it’s beneficial like a carpenters convention gather carpenters to discuss the best plane for the best hardwood, like furries gathering to bowl.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt