Page 1220 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 120612161218121912201221122212241234 ... LastLast
Results 12,191 to 12,200 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. At least I got my Costco membership so I'm doing pretty good.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

2. They found a massive complex of Mayan ruins in Guatamela. When I worked in advertising a few years ago one of the projects I was assigned to was a massive oil and energy consortium that had patent control over LiDAR technology (the tech they used to find this village). It was being used in military to potentially identify nuanced differences in scenery (so a group of soldiers would tour an area, and on the way back from touring if something was new in the general area of the road it would warn them). One of our demonstrated uses was discovering historical artifacts over large topographical areas that were obstructed by traditional cameras. Neat that's one of the things they've started using it for (Google ended up licensing the tech to scan building shapes for Google Maps, which was a pretty big waste of money IMO). Pretty neat technology. I'm glad they're not just using it for war shit anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Yeah, it's rad - the population is now estimated to have been somewhere around 10 million, which is way higher than previously thought.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The interest rate hikes are the most worrisome for me personally. i was hoping to sell my apartment this year and a potential huge swath of buyers wouldn't be in the market anymore.
    Interest rates have been stupid low for too long, and it has driven real estate prices around here to absurd levels.
    I don't care if people making 30k a year can't mortgage million dollar homes anymore. I have money saved and would like to at least earn enough interest to offset inflation for a change.

5. I’d be surprised if the real estate market went down too much. Demand is still very high. Time on market will probably increase but who knows.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Anyway I came here to post about the financial crisis.

Worst plunge in the market since 2008. Coincidence Obama was President then?
    No, he wasn't.

7. Uh oh

8. That wasn’t a serious statement. Too soon after all that post-modernist poking.

9. Obama was 12/32 president.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Again you’re picking pretty extreme photos to argue against broad categorization.
    There is nothing extreme about these examples. At all.

I went to school for evolutionary developmental biology, and I don't know what you learned at Baller Biff's Academy of Bullshitting TNL, but if you knew anything about that subject you'd know the pheasants are a fairly moderate example of sexual dimorphism compared to many species. And as little sexual dimorphism as humans have, we have more than most primates (we're the only one without two separate uterine cavities, likely owing to a selection pressure in our class's speciation).

Likewise, EVERY. SINGLE. EXAMPLE. you have brought to bear is undeniably social in origin. If it were 3000 years ago and I were a Persian king, I would likely wear makeup and a dress, walk with a swish of the hips, hold my cup in a way that would undoubtedly be regarded as feminine today, and would be considered the height of male power and masculinity.