Page 1074 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 106010701072107310741075107610781088 ... LastLast
Results 10,731 to 10,740 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The gains women made in the past century aren't going anywhere, though. Hell, if the Dems had chosen literally any other woman in their party (*ahem* Tammy Duckworth), we'd have one in the Oval Office right now.

Agree to disagree, I guess. If they think it helps, good on them. As long as they get their message out without burning garbage and vandalizing a Starbucks, it'll be a step up.
    I'm not sure what your point is—that general assembly stressing the rights of a group of ppl can be a bad thing in and of itself? That these people should save their ballyhooing for The Real Issues(TM)?

Why do you have an opinion about this at all if it's not newsworthy to you. You can abstain from it you know. It's very liberating.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 21 Jan 2017 at 04:42 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is—that general assembly stressing the rights of a group of ppl can be a bad thing in and of itself? That these people should save their ballyhooing for The Real Issues(TM)?

Why do you have an opinion about this at all if it's not newsworthy to you. You can obstain from it you know. It's very liberating.
    I'm most certainly obstaining (Canadian thing?), as today has been all about finally finishing Bravely Second. You want me to sum up my point more succinctly? Fair enough: If you holler for special treatment and privileges in the name of "equality," you shouldn't be surprised to be called a silly goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Holy shit. What was that fucker's IQ?
    He asked, as though he'd never watched any George Carlin.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    He asked, as though he'd never watched any George Carlin.
    I figured he was trolling. There's no way he doesn't know Carlin.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I figured he was trolling. There's no way he doesn't know Carlin.
    When aren't most of us trolling?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I wonder what they're protesting. Women can already vote, drive cars, wear pants, run for office, procure birth control and abortions, etc. Salary is a personally negotiated thing, so that's on the individual.

Are they arguing for the right to be compelled to register for the draft? Are they protesting an end to lopsided divorce/custody rulings? If so, I'll buy in that this a march for "equality." Otherwise, it's just an emotional outburst with no rational endgame.
    People want to know how many other people aren't okay with this shit.

I want to know how many other people aren't okay with this shit.

I want other people to know I'm not okay with this shit.

The rest of the world wants to know how many people aren't okay with this shit.

The people who aren't okay with this shit want the rest of the world to know they aren't okay with this shit.

And as far as "women aren't going to lose anything," insurance and federally-subsidized birth control in particular probably has a couple months left for starters.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 21 Jan 2017 at 07:46 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    People want to know how many other people aren't okay with this shit.

I want to know how many other people aren't okay with this shit.

I want other people to know I'm not okay with this shit.

The rest of the world wants to know how many people aren't okay with this shit.

The people who aren't okay with this shit want the rest of the world to know they aren't okay with this shit.

And as far as "women aren't going to lose anything," insurance and federally-subsidized birth control in particular probably has a couple months left for starters.
    You know me, I'm a libertarian. I want lots and lots of free speech. Especially (and most importantly) speech with which I strongly disagree.

But if these protesters are serious, they should go protest in countries like Saudi Arabia. You know, places where women are no-kidding seriously oppressed. Fear of being stoned to death via "honor killing" trump "who will cover my birth control co-pay" in the realm of things that matter.

8. Interestingly enough no gross violence occurred today!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You know me, I'm a libertarian. I want lots and lots of free speech. Especially (and most importantly) speech with which I strongly disagree.

But if these protesters are serious, they should go protest in countries like Saudi Arabia. You know, places where women are no-kidding seriously oppressed. Fear of being stoned to death via "honor killing" trump "who will cover my birth control co-pay" in the realm of things that matter.
    Nah, sorry man - I think you're honestly misunderstanding libertarian ideals here. Or do you just mean you want free speech when it benefits capitalism? Your feelings on what should/shouldn't be correct don't factor into this at all. That's what I never understand with "libertarians," it's soooo similar to liberal leftists: if someone doesn't agree with your way of doing things, it's wrong or not good enough. These rallies are not encroaching on your rights whatsoever, so I'm not even sure why you should care.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Nah, sorry man - I think you're honestly misunderstanding libertarian ideals here. Or do you just mean you want free speech when it benefits capitalism? Your feelings on what should/shouldn't be correct don't factor into this at all. That's what I never understand with "libertarians," it's soooo similar to liberal leftists: if someone doesn't agree with your way of doing things, it's wrong or not good enough. These rallies are not encroaching on your rights whatsoever, so I'm not even sure why you should care.
    I want free speech all the time, no matter how controversial, no matter how many sacred cows are slaughtered, no matter what. And when I feel that such speech misses the mark, I want to retort with my perspective. But so long as things remain civil (as was thankfully the case today) I want the dialogue to continue, because that's how real progress happens. When such speech is shut down, be it via threats or ad hominems or what have you, we all suffer.

So to your point, these rallies don't infringe on my rights at all. As the father of an adorbs and awesome little girl, equality for women is very much in my interest. I just feel these rallies are doing jack shit to counter real oppression.