Page 1075 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 106110711073107410751076107710791089 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,750 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Can you agree that there's a broad scope of issues that deserve our attention in a variety of different manners, though? For instance, taking away access to abortions/birth control/medical care (via Planned Parenthood, whose existence is being directly threatened by this group) maybe be low on the list of oppressions as a global matter as compared to something like women's rights in Saudi Arabia, but still an issue that needs support? Like, it's not "I'm supporting women's rights here in CA so in effect I can't be defending the women in Saudi Arabia." We have proof that women's education leads to a more prosperous society overall, but that doesn't happen in a vacuum. Today's teenage marchers are tomorrow's Doctors Without Borders workers, or whatever.

I do agree that most likely little will come of today's march in the immediate sense (Trump will still be president tomorrow, things that matter to women will still be on the congressional chopping block) but I don't believe it's a lost cause. As I said, its point was solidarity and visibility - not everything has to be a board meeting with a Power Point presentation and ETA. Sometimes it's okay to just show up to show your support, this too is a form of free speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. Of course! It just seemed like you were coming from the position that I would seek to silence this sort of speech--and that's not your fault at all, it's just my default defensive posturing from years of TNL. But I live for the back and forth, because life in an echo chamber is far too dull.

Now to address the womens' issues in non-caveman countries. If I honestly felt that Trump was a threat to the upward mobility and rights of women, there is no way I would have voted for him. But I think people are in for a pleasant surprise. He seems quite evolved on many issues (to include LBGT rights) and made a point of stressing a need for more guarantees in the field of maternity leave. In fact, he has practically telegraphed that Ivanka will be taking the helm on improving this. I really think, based on his comments, that he wants to make the country better for all women. His opponent seemed like she wanted to make things better for one woman, and one woman alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

I don't see why any dudes wouldn't be for women's equality. Personally, I love bitches.

4. Oh yeah, lol. Nah, I actually just like the discussion, I don't really care about being right. I know that's the antithesis of internet discussion!

Also 100% I believe that he's not going to be anywhere near as bad as we're expecting him to be. I don't love the uncertainty of the administration currently, we're really open to all sorts of issues both internationally and domestically (AND ECONOMICALLY UGH,) and a lot of people are worried about that. A defensive approach is best for now, but I do believe that there are some positive surprises in store. Gearing up for the worst may not be the best use of time, but I think it's viable, and if we do need to rally again for more serious reasons, it's a good precedent. I'm with you on Ivanka - as much as I try not to, I really like her and I always have. If together, they can achieve things that help women rather than hinder, I'm first in line to give kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. There's also the possibility that Donald Trump, much like his hair, goes where the wind blows.
    Any progressive leanings he may have could just be the result of his exposure to the entertainment industry.
    Now that he's surrounded by the league of evil 24/7, his personal politics might well change accordingly.

6. I think his politics are influenced by his medication or lack thereof.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    There's also the possibility that Donald Trump, much like his hair, goes where the wind blows.
    Any progressive leanings he may have could just be the result of his exposure to the entertainment industry.
    Now that he's surrounded by the league of evil 24/7, his personal politics might well change accordingly.
    I disagree with that. He definitely has some teeth—and as a person who's made it a brand of firing under performers I'd be really worried if I were one of the initial appointments in his cabinet. When heads start rolling he'll only look more the stalwart pragmatist than ever before. I always find the overly religious focused language of these swear-ins to be alarming—but it's always been that way. Obama was no different.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 22 Jan 2017 at 02:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. There's nothing even remotely religious, let alone alarmingly religious, about the language of the swearing in. The final line, "so help me God," isn't even a real part of the oath. It's something Washington said at the end and has been tradition since, but it's not mandatory.

There's even an option to "affirm" instead of "swear" if one is feeling especially concerned about jeopardizing their atheist credentials.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The final line, "so help me God," isn't even a real part of the oath. It's something Washington said at the end and has been tradition since
    Except for the fact that he didn't
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. I have to believe Drewbacca was referring to the prayers and such surrounding it, and not the actual swearing in oath.