Page 1139 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 112511351137113811391140114111431153 ... LastLast
Results 11,381 to 11,390 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Sats, your Japanese heritage is showing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    ...other individuals armed with similar material can either collaborate or disprove...
    your "R"s came out like "L"s.
    corraborate

3. I love the "capitalism is natural because it's like the animal kingdom, man" argument so much.

1. Direct me to where private property exists in nature. And if your response is, "Well, except that part," then you're saying nature is like capitalism only without the part where it has capital.

2. Animals into the wild spend every waking moment trying not to starve or running from predators. Why model our society after theirs? Being an animal blows.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Honestly Drew, I totally respect and admire your ability to comb through a lot of this stuff, but why aren't you in school my man? I mean, it's fine to do this on your free time, but part of the benefit of being in a classroom setting is that other individuals armed with similar material can either collaborate or disprove what you're saying. What I'm saying is, when you read this stuff on your own, you're not getting a lot of useful feedback on how to apply the information to real world situations. You're taking your own experience and applying it to your own worldview. Again, not shitting on your want to expand your mind in your spare time because that's really admirable, but you have to be cautious of falling into an echo chamber (obviously this can happen in school too but the collaborative efforts in Economics and Philosophy -and so many more- classes will definitely open you up to a variety of viewpoints.) It's fine to argue with IP and I here on TNL, but I dunno....I encourage you to do something with this knowledge that you can really apply to a real world scenario rather than just arguing about it on the internet. Again, not saying college is the answer to every question, but just watching Youtube isn't a full education. You're very smart and you're able to read and synthesize a lot of information, you should really think about really going somewhere with it. Just saying.
    Just a hobby for me. I agree about diversity though. That's mainly why I'm reading counter points from that SJW article right now. Though I don't feel statistical models are inherently biased to left or right politics. That's what we do w them. I also joined my friend Joanna in a philosophy club that meets once a month (and tends to be filled w vegan hippies).

Maybe using the word natural is wrong though. Seeing the negative reaction to it I should define it stronger towards culture. I tend to be more phenomenologically minded in that I treat subjective experiences to be as real to the development of being as objective nature.

I was also pretty high and bored last night w my fiancé out of town.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Sep 2017 at 02:43 PM.

5. Or,

[in nature] there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain: and consequently no culture of the earth; no navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea; no commodious building; no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force; no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of time; no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    your "R"s came out like "L"s.
    corraborate
    hahah I am telling you man.....I gotta not post stuff when I first wake up. Not looking forward to my 8am class on Tuesday. You're right tho, I meant corroborate.

Drew, cool about the Philosophy club, that's a good start. I'm just saying though, school may be something you wanna do at some point. It sucks that formal education isn't encouraged past the age of like, 23. It's changed my entire outlook on everything, and there was no way I could have properly applied this knowledge at 20. Just....no way. It brings me so much more joy now to theorize and pick things apart for the love of intellectual pursuits, not because I need a job. But this is coming from a place of privilege, obviously everyone doesn't have the same accessibility to formal education as I do right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    1. Direct me to where private property exists in nature. And if your response is, "Well, except that part," then you're saying nature is like capitalism only without the part where it has capital.

2. Animals into the wild spend every waking moment trying not to starve or running from predators. Why model our society after theirs? Being an animal blows.
    1. Animals by many accounts have territories, especially primates and cats, which is some kind of proximal ownership. I think there is a danger in equating this to any one system of governance btw. It's probably ok to understand how we tend behave when organizing and plan out things with that in mind, though.

2. Of course any rational person would agree. But that outcome OR WORSE isn't such an obvious path. If you asked the poor souls who lived in forced internment camps if they'd rather live free in the jungle I bet they'd say living like an animal would be an welcomed upgrade.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Sep 2017 at 03:03 PM.

8. This thread sucks.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. I'm going to turn every thread you love in to Do Any of You Think? and there's nothing you can do about it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread