Page 1337 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 13231333133513361337133813391341 ... LastLast
Results 13,361 to 13,370 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Amazon bought Twitch.
    It continues...

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    That's valid, but they're still monopolies with 10-20 years of dominance which need to be broken up. They're no better than Ma Bell or Standard Oil.
    Fucking this. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So which one has a monopoly on what?
    I know you're being a smartass but I'm still going to drop this: What if there was a Twitter-like source where posts had to be approved, so we could still do our social media networking etc. (maybe LinkedIn? lol) but the rest of the shit that gets posted on FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. funnels back to forums, like this? And then we can moderate all that crap like we used to do?

3. That would be a good start.

I would like to see an open platform where users are responsible for their own content, and can choose to either pay for webhosting, or allow advertising, just like with websites, but with some open protocol that allows all of the social functions that normal web pages lack.

I would also like to see the type of computer ecosystem that we were promised at the dawn of the internet age, but instead we have a situation where the capabilities of our devices are locked away from us and we have to rely on rent-seeking third-party services for basic shit that the technology could easily provide for free.

Even basic network file-sharing has been deliberately sabotaged, at least on Windows, and Microsoft's official solution to any problem you have with it is "use Onedrive instead". If they stuck with Gates' original vision from way back in the '90's of the home server, we'd be running our own "cloud" services from our own homes, streaming media from our own PC's to our phones and whatnot, and only using corporate services as an optional backup. Unfortunately, by the time broadband became common, it was too late, and the paradigm had already shifted to paid services rather than investing in your own equipment. The average dolt doesn't understand the value of privacy and controlling their own data, and that's who the market caters to. I blame it all on the chumps who were stupid enough top pay real money for ringtones and backgrounds on their flip phones.

I don't want to see monopolies get broken up, I want them to become redundant and go broke.

4. Yeah, we really fuckin' blew it during the infancy of the web and leaning on those advertising dollars. What you describe would be fine going forward, but back then that choice led directly to this bs with the shitty influencers and copycat content creators.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't want to see monopolies get broken up, I want them to become redundant and go broke.
    I can dig this.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Fucking this. 100%

I know you're being a smartass but I'm still going to drop this: What if there was a Twitter-like source where posts had to be approved, so we could still do our social media networking etc. (maybe LinkedIn? lol) but the rest of the shit that gets posted on FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. funnels back to forums, like this? And then we can moderate all that crap like we used to do?
    The whole purpose of social media is the in-built audience that makes it easy to get eyeballs on content. Twitter is also a curated list of things you’ve chosen to follow that are of interest to you. Filtering what I can see based on a curated list of things you’ve chosen as interesting is not that compelling.

Facebook doesn’t really have a monopoly. Twitter and Snapchat are already successful independent media. Same w TikTok. Same w CNN.

Search is a market that actually can barely support anything but a monopoly because it’s an index.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Jul 2020 at 08:16 AM.

7. Duckduckgo gets the job done.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The whole purpose of social media is the in-built audience that makes it easy to get eyeballs on content.
    Exactly. Eyes on disingenuous, useless bullshit that would be better handled (and, likely, disposed of) in a community like this. Everyone's just hoping to go viral. There's always been ways for things to get popular – shit, even during dialup BBS days, pre-internet, people were memeing and didn't even know it.

Twitter is also a curated list of things you’ve chosen to follow that are of interest to you. Filtering what I can see based on a curated list of things you’ve chosen as interesting is not that compelling.
    I can only speak to my usage of Twitter (and aside from people linking me to stuff I haven't actually been on in like a month) but it isn't very useful to me any more. Filtering what I can see based on my own curation is dumb and boring because there are people with a platform who post the occasionally helpful piece of information and the rest is people using it like MySpace. Perhaps other communities outside of writing have a better experience but even in my little corner there are bad actors posting misinformation. I found groups to chat with and a forum, and both of those are infinitely better.

Obviously, these are all opinions and you may not agree. I got rid of Facebook years ago and don't use the other platforms, so maybe my view is tainted.

Search is a market that actually can barely support anything but a monopoly because it’s an index.
    Now this one is related to my job so I can speak with authority on this: The Algorithm used to be a good thing when it was based entirely on site content and site quality. I don't think we need to go back to the days of Yahoo/Altavista/Hotbot/Excite like I do with the social media problem, but it needs to change. I also don't have a good solution but the ease of manipulation, ads, inclusion of conspiracy sites, and rankings based on Google's idea of how a web site should be built* is not how it should be.

*As a person who builds (and needs) accessible web sites/content, I still don't think a search result ranking should be affected by that in an ideal scenario. Nor should something that doesn't load in less than a second have its position jeopardized. Inaccessible & poorly-structured sites should be exposed so that the users can tell the operators exactly how to fix the problems. Right now, it's a broad-stroke rating that may or may not be helpful to the people trying to view the content, and developers drive themselves mad trying to meet those numbers. Some bad behavior has arisen as a result: Lengthy captions for purely decorative images, transcripts for autoplay videos, popover dialog boxes that interrupt content, etc.

9. Most of the shitty things about Google search are intentional at this point. It's more important for them to show you sponsored results than relevant ones. The more time you waste looking for what you want, the more ads they can serve up. They'll never filter out all the clickbait and scams when that's who's buttering their bread.

10. The only social media I use regularly is Instagram and mainly for food, cocktails, gamedev, tech, and art (80% is artists). I tried Snapchat for awhile w colleagues but it was pretty unengaging. Oh and I tried discord but also didn’t find it compelling.

Twitter bombards you with nothing but negativity. If there was ever an opposite to meditation Twitter would be it: vapid streams or posts that take you out of the moment and in to other ppls boredom-based grief. It amplifies the worst aspects of news. Seldom is this helpful... maybe it is for BLM where there’s a huge social problem for example, but the medium is poison for politics and most topics. It leaves you alarmed, angry, and depressed just through processing such high volume of useless posts alone.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 09 Jul 2020 at 12:46 AM.