Page 1338 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 13241334133613371338133913401342 ... LastLast
Results 13,371 to 13,380 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Now this one is related to my job so I can speak with authority on this: The Algorithm used to be a good thing when it was based entirely on site content and site quality. I don't think we need to go back to the days of Yahoo/Altavista/Hotbot/Excite like I do with the social media problem, but it needs to change. I also don't have a good solution but the ease of manipulation, ads, inclusion of conspiracy sites, and rankings based on Google's idea of how a web site should be built* is not how it should be.

*As a person who builds (and needs) accessible web sites/content, I still don't think a search result ranking should be affected by that in an ideal scenario. Nor should something that doesn't load in less than a second have its position jeopardized. Inaccessible & poorly-structured sites should be exposed so that the users can tell the operators exactly how to fix the problems. Right now, it's a broad-stroke rating that may or may not be helpful to the people trying to view the content, and developers drive themselves mad trying to meet those numbers. Some bad behavior has arisen as a result: Lengthy captions for purely decorative images, transcripts for autoplay videos, popover dialog boxes that interrupt content, etc.
    I’d have to see examples of the images. Most photographs need captions. If it’s stuffing alt text on iconography or stuff like that it’s bad. Maybe because I work in tech, but the way the internet was in 2010 compared to now is leaps better — it’s on the companies looking to make $$$ to meet a certain bar of speed, experience, and accessibility. No one was caring at all about accessibility without that incentive over their heads (even federal ADA compliance wasn’t strong enough). I’m not sure why transcripts of auto play is bad (curious to know why though). To me that shit is a godsend for browsing video on mobile.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I’d have to see examples of the images. Most photographs need captions. If it’s stuffing alt text on iconography or stuff like that it’s bad. Maybe because I work in tech, but the way the internet was in 2010 compared to now is leaps better — it’s on the companies looking to make $$$ to meet a certain bar of speed, experience, and accessibility. No one was caring at all about accessibility without that incentive over their heads (even federal ADA compliance wasn’t strong enough). I’m not sure why transcripts of auto play is bad (curious to know why though). To me that shit is a godsend for browsing video on mobile.
    To sum up: A screen reader is going to take longer to describe even a very basic web site than a sighted person can view. Captions for decorative images are rarely described as "decorative image" so a person using a screen reader may not know it's something they can skip. Current standards are to either leave captions out or simply label them as "decorative." HTML tags can mark images as presentational so a screen reader knows to skip them, but it isn't widely used. I think all images should have captions, should be able to be marked as decorative, and screen readers should have a setting for users to enable/disable skipping them. A couple of people I know have mentioned enjoying a well-captioned decorative image. Overwhelming opinion, though, is, "describe & read this site as fast and coherently as possible."

Re: Auto-play video transcripts. This is mostly in reference to news-type sites who shove a video in your face. They leave someone out most of the time. They transcribe the videos and a person can activate the transcription, but the actual videos frequently don't offer a closed-caption feature. (Fine for users with sight disability, but not deaf users.) Though, sometimes, they have open captions. But since that's part of the video, a screen reader can't tell. (Fine for deaf users, but not users with sight disability.)

All of that said, many users have conditions that cause side-effects from things on web pages animating without their interaction, so it's generally not considered accessible for a page to have auto-play video overall.

3. Autoplay anything can can go straight to hell. I hate being chased around by video pop-ups when I'm trying to read something.

Accessibility on the web is kind of half-assed in general. I don't know what causes it, but some sites don't even work properly with a color inverter, and I have to use the system level invert to get dark mode, which makes my actual darkmode UI bright.

It's a shame Outline doesn't work properly on search result pages. It does a good job of stripping the garbage out of news articles.
    Last edited by kedawa; 09 Jul 2020 at 06:16 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't know what causes it, but some sites don't even work properly with a color inverter, and I have to use the system level invert to get dark mode, which makes my actual darkmode UI bright.
    Pretty cool: Most modern browsers can actually detect some of those settings you enable – dark mode, reduced motion, contrast enhancer, etc. – and act on them with different styles and such.

But ahh, contrast ratios, the forgotten child of accessibility. My designers fucking hate me and I often get skipped for developer feedback on designs because I come back with, "This headline color doesn't have a 4.5:1 contrast against the background." But the best part is, COVID caused my company to lay off all the other developers. So I'm the one who's going to have to build the site, which means they are going to get my feedback either way. Hehe.

5. A judge was assigned Jeffrey Epstein’s money laundering case. 4 days later a ‘Fed-Ex driver’ murders her son and husband. That driver is now found dead.

https://www.rt.com/usa/495320-suspec...ooting-suicide
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. But, y'know, we're all conspiracy nuts for thinking something is up.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    A judge was assigned Jeffrey Epstein’s money laundering case. 4 days later a ‘Fed-Ex driver’ murders her son and husband. That driver is now found dead.

https://www.rt.com/usa/495320-suspec...ooting-suicide
    The son was shot through the heart as he opened the door. The husband is alive in critical condition. And yeah this was straight up an assassination move. Someone wants this judge to not do something.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

8. It could have been anyone who had dirty dealings with that bank, but there's no reason to think that it couldn't have been related to Epstein's case.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It could have been anyone who had dirty dealings with that bank, but there's no reason to think that it couldn't have been related to Epstein's case.
    I agree however killing her son is probably going to have the reverse effect with her. If anything, Her fucks to give are probably not there anymore and she'll be out for blood since her son paid the ultimate price.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

10. I'd be surprised if she doesn't recuse herself.
    That said, I hope she goes full on Deathwish against all the clients who laundered money for through that bank.