Page 1247 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 123312431245124612471248124912511261 ... LastLast
Results 12,461 to 12,470 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. but if he spent less time there, he may spend more time here.
    Just a thought.
    (not a pleasant one)

2. There are basically only 5 meaningful artists existing right now - Kanye, Miley, Donald Glover, Jordan Peele, and 4chan. 4chan is raw, but it’s who Stephen Colbert was twelve years ago, like the love child of Colbert & Lenny Bruce.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 19 May 2018 at 08:53 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. 4chan is the Dead Poets Society to Popular Culture’s Welton Academy.
    4chan is love.
    4chan is life.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. O.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. I mean where else can I see Rate My Dick threads?

6. tbh I think 4chan peaked pre-election and has sadly never really regained its hold. The first wave (pre-popular/pol/) had truly one of the longest and most prolific reigns of internet history. From 2003-2011, 4chan was a hilarious internet paradise that gave us some of the best experiences the internet has to offer. memes, weird stories, personalities, etc. 2011-2015 /pol/ was many channer's glory days, which is fine but it was created as a direct response to the 2009-2011 Tumblr reign of political correctness, which makes it more reactionary than its first wave. Although 2011-current will be the most studied era due to election influences and the like, the pre-2011 era was really where the history was made. It's a little sad that it will be remembered as it is, rather than how it was. Nowadays, it's pretty boring overall, since there used to be no other site like it. But for the most part, /pol/ and /The_Donald/ are interchangeable, and /pol's popularity sort of dictates the survival of 4chan as a whole now. I respect the life of the site, but much like the Simpsons and Facebook, I think we're going to see it go on a few seasons too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. I recognize the danger in /pol/. It’s like religion and can fuel violence, if someone takes it too seriously.

Our #1 problem in our culture is a lack of empathy for those we disagree with (or just don’t like), combined with a general isolation in an era of instant communication. Those go hand in hand.

While 4chan may be benifical in it’s mocking of cultural customs & mythology and being a means for us to reflect on our assumptions, it’s detrimental in it’s encouraging that lack of empathy and isolation of lonely people.

This chart could corolate perfectly with the rise in popularity of 4chan. https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/sta...000749570?s=21

8. I think there are elements of "danger" in every major website that draws high numbers of traffic. I mean, if you divvied up the statistics from all the heavy hitters- reddit, facebook, whatever, you're probably going to find that Facebook users have the highest instances of depression, loneliness, crime, etc. - just for the sheer sake that there's more users on Facebook than any other major website. I don't think we can accurate measure 4chan damage (depression, loneliness) versus Facebook damage since there's a lot of cross-users, and I'm not sure if there's an accurate way to measure that data in the first place.

I dont trust that chart for shit bc it has absolutely no source whatsoever. I have no idea how he's getting this data. I don't think it's a reliable *or* valid chart, unfortunately. It would be mildly amusing if it was because it would correlate strongly with not only Tumblr's popularity height but also the recession, but I think this may be a great example of the ice cream/murder rate thing - correlation =/= causation. Props for trying to look smart tho, twitter podcast Lutheran dude.

Nah, I don't think chan is any more dangerous than Reddit, or here for that matter - I was fairly convinced of it at the turn of the election but I've taken my libtard blinders off and examined the arguments, and it just doesn't add up. I think it can contribute to general disarray, but when we examine similar issues that involve "radicalized" men (white or not) - gang activity, ISIS, incels, aspects of gamer culture, aspects of sports culture, whatever - it's a bigger problem than just some website that used to focus on anime tiddies. Men are socialized really weirdly across cultures, and it's interesting that a lot of deeply flawed individuals are finding themselves ascribing to their own forms of hegemony by seeking out other similarly flawed individuals, but this isn't website specific. It's not even internet specific. The internet makes aspects of it accessible and easy, so we can point at "incels" or "/pol/" and say "those are the bad dudes!" But....they aren't. It's actually toxic masculinity in general
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Good point. I shouldn’t talk about 4chan without social media in general. Which that dude is some economist for the USDA, which makes it double bullshit he didn’t cite his sources. Here’s a Independent article. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a7167946.html

Here’s another (12.5% of 26 yo are virgins) http://www.newsweek.com/millennial-v...project-912283

I lean to believe it, because 2007 is when iPhones and Facebook (the sexless MySpace) took off. But without the data source, it’s meaningless.

It seems unhealthy right?

10. Good point. I shouldn’t talk about 4chan without social media in general. Which that dude is some economist for the USDA, which makes it double bullshit he didn’t cite his sources. Here’s a Independent article. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a7167946.html

Here’s another (12.5% of 26 yo are virgins) http://www.newsweek.com/millennial-v...project-912283

I lean to believe it, because 2007 is when iPhones and Facebook (the sexless MySpace) took off. But without the data source, it’s meaningless.

It seems unhealthy right?