Page 1188 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 117411841186118711881189119011921202 ... LastLast
Results 11,871 to 11,880 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm not convinced kids need tablets.
    It's probably one of the worst things to buy for a young child. I guess if you want them to grow up thinking that invasive, incessant advertising and cynical freemium games are virtues, then it's the way to go. I feel sorry for kids that have tablets as their only gaming device. We should organize a telethon for the poor little buggers

Most of the young dads at work have wives that use them to baby sit. A "shutup" box. They are always giving the kid a phone or tablet so they shut up.

3. Ha yeah those lazy idiot women are such assholes. If only the men were home.

I guess the stay at home dads could do the same, but I don't know any of those.

And don't try to divert attention from how shitty the practice is because it is moms. A shitty thing over there doesn't excuse a shitty thing over here.

5. Explain to me how bitching about kids and tablets today is any different than kids and nintendo 30 years ago and kids and stereos 60 years ago.

The argument is that kids are less likely to get bored now and that is having some impact on brain development. That the constant stimulation of apps and the web is doing something bad. Like increasing their risk of add or something.

The comments I've heard from dads is that they worry it makes their kids fickle. That they don't stick to anything. They get them lego sets and they don't finish them. They get them new games and they don't beat them. They get books and don't finish them. They go back the tablet/phone and they don't finish anything on those. They just cycle through free games and youtube videos and shit.

Maybe their kids are just horrible, I don't know.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Explain to me how bitching about kids and tablets today is any different than kids and nintendo 30 years ago and kids and stereos 60 years ago.
    I think tablets and their apps are engineered to be invasive and addictive in a way neither Nintendo nor stereos had the ability to.

8. I guess another case might be the cartoons we all grew up loving, GI JOE, Transformers, etc, were all just giant toy commercials, and they had our undivided attention while on the air for hours at a time, often when the folks weren't home. Government did eventually step in and say woah nelly a bit. So are tablets different from Joes?

Maybe that shit did damage. Who is to say. Bit most of us didn't get access to it at all waking hours.

10. I didn't play video games until I was 12 or so, so I don't know what effect they would have had when I was younger, but the cartoons were only on for half an hour each, and then I had to actually entertain myself. I don't think I watched more than an hour of TV at a time, unless it was saturday morning, and even then I was playing with toys or drawing at the same time.
    I know people whose kids are playing shitty phone games for hours a day. It's pathetic.