Page 1204 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 119012001202120312041205120612081218 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,040 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Wat
    Try it for 10 minutes. Rice works well, too.

I'm not wasting good food for that

3. It's not cruel if it's not Lego.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

My parents never hit me, and I still never caused a scene in public as a child. Never did any of the shit that most of these awful little fucks do. I don't think hitting your kid is the answer, maybe more attentive parenting is. Of course I don't have kids, so I have no idea what it's like, but your job is to raise your child to be the best human being they can. What does hitting them when they do something wrong teach them? That you're stronger? There is an older Louis CK bit about smacking your kids that is pretty good.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm not wasting good food for that
    You don’t throw out food packets if they have maggots in it. I doubt you’d throw out rice for a little knee grease.

6. It teaches them that pain hurts. In order to evade pain, they should evade behavior for which the consequence is pain.
    This should be balanced with rewards for good behavior. I went to the store and didn't act like an asshole. Not only did I not get spanked, mom even got me something I wanted.

If you're an asshole parent that is always hitting your kid, then you're doing it wrong and you're an asshole and should have your kids taken away. If your belief is that in order to stop the 10% of assholes out there actually abusing their kids than we as a society must stop spanking for 100% of the population then here we are. I'm not a throw the baby out with the bath water type of guy. That's where my path diverges with most liberals.

If you punish your kids correctly, the threat of punishment looms heavy. You'll rarely have to go through with it. And I'm not referring to extreme pain. If you're leaving marks, you're abusive. If the kid is crying real tears from lingering pain then you're abusive. Once you've been around a kid long enough you can tell the difference between their types of crying. A bit of a tangent, but I've seen kids hurt themselves and look to their parents and based on the parents reaction start screaming their heads off or just sort of sniffle. It's weird. It's like they've been conditioned to base their reaction on their parents reaction. Anyway, I'm talking about pain on the level of a pin prick for a blood test. It's uncomfortable, but over quick. No real harm is done, but it's not a feeling you relish.

It may mean nothing, but I probably don't remember the vast majority of spankings I received.
    I do remember the mean shit my parents said when they were exasperated by a million things that had nothing to do with me, blew up, and funneled all their stress onto me.
    Which do you think caused more harm in the long run?

Why does pain have to be the motivator? My parents were able to reason with me about things, and send my ass to my room if I was being a shithead about it.

If I had a kid I'd probably dropkick it out the window if it looked at me funny, so I'm not really criticizing any of the TNL dads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It teaches them that pain hurts.
    This is basically the bit.

8. You have a magical power of always being an exception. You should learn to bottle and sell it.

I guess it comes from tradition. Spare the rod, spoil the child and all. What does sending a kid to their room even do these days? Most kid's slumber chambers are outfitted better than the living rooms I grew up with.

All I know is what I see, and I see it every day. Parents that try to reason with their kids and talk to them like they are speaking to adults usually have assholes for kids. Parents that'll give their brat a look and raise their hand a bit to non verbally communicate what's coming if they don't simmer down, usually get the desired outcome.

We've talked about this stuff before. Once my kids were out of the toddler years, they rarely got a spanking, and when they did it was for doing some dumb shit that could have really hurt them.

9. Any child with even average intelligence would pretty quickly realize that they have to avoid you to avoid the pain — not the behaviour. My concern there would be how that mentality manifests in adolescence.

But maybe that’s a worthwhile lesson to learn early.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 21 Jan 2018 at 08:11 PM.

You have a magical power of always being an exception. You should learn to bottle and sell it.
    I was a smart kid and had the world mostly figured out before elementary school even started. I will not feel bad about it.

FYI, I give away my magic formula all the time, but no one wants it. It's easier to think about how nice it'd be to change your life than it is to actually do anything about it.

What does sending a kid to their room even do these days? Most kid's slumber chambers are outfitted better than the living rooms I grew up with.
    That's on the parents though, isn't it?