Page 1251 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 123712471249125012511252125312551265 ... LastLast
Results 12,501 to 12,510 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Racism is never funny.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    So ABC cancelled the Roseanne reboot today after Roseanne Barr tweeted about former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett:

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”
    This is lame for a whole host of reasons, though I absolutely do not blame NBC whatsoever. I was really, really enjoying the reboot and I feel really bad for all the cast and crew that basically have to take the fall for RB's shitty statement. I feel especially bad for Sarah Gilbert - I know she put a lot of her own time and money behind the project. But, I think people from older generations are having some serious issues adapting to the fact that you can't just mouth off online and expect everything to go hunky dory. (Current president excluded.) Racism has moved beyond the n-word and Sambo-style drawings. I think a lot of older individuals pretend not to see it, and think that it was once okay to joke about something that it's perfectly acceptable to still make that joke. It's troubling to see people past the age of 50, who have access to so much new and relevant information via the internet, choose to remain bigoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

It might not have been intended to be racist. Varett is ugly and she does have the haircut of one of the leading female monkeys from one of the movies. It could have possibly had nothing to do with "scientific" racism, and previous attempts to say nonwhites were closer to apes.

Though, admittedly, it was incredibly unwise to make those comments without any context given. Why she wouldn't know that the easiest way to take it was as racist, I don't know.

It might not have been intended to be racist. Varett is ugly and she does have the haircut of one of the leading female monkeys from one of the movies. It could have possibly had nothing to do with "scientific" racism, and previous attempts to say nonwhites were closer to apes.

Though, admittedly, it was incredibly unwise to make those comments without any context given. Why she wouldn't know that the easiest way to take it was as racist, I don't know.

5. I’d argue 20-somethings are just as bigoted as 50-somethings. When politics are sex & race saturated to a point you can’t find an article without race or sex mentioned in it, coupled with the offensive binary marketing of politics, you can expect the consumer to be bigoted and prejudice. 2010’s culture is vile.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    This is lame for a whole host of reasons, though I absolutely do not blame NBC whatsoever. I was really, really enjoying the reboot and I feel really bad for all the cast and crew that basically have to take the fall for RB's shitty statement. I feel especially bad for Sarah Gilbert - I know she put a lot of her own time and money behind the project. But, I think people from older generations are having some serious issues adapting to the fact that you can't just mouth off online and expect everything to go hunky dory. (Current president excluded.) Racism has moved beyond the n-word and Sambo-style drawings. I think a lot of older individuals pretend not to see it, and think that it was once okay to joke about something that it's perfectly acceptable to still make that joke. It's troubling to see people past the age of 50, who have access to so much new and relevant information via the internet, choose to remain bigoted.
    I would hope you don't blame NBC.

7. She does, because the A stands for Aryan and the N stands for...

Nornice

9. Also: This really sucks. Though I liked the show I stopped watching it after the 4th episode, so it's not about that. No, it sucks because of everyone else on that show just got ROYALLY fucked up the ass because some dumb old woman. It's not like most of them won't ever find work again, but fuck. They had a certifiable hit that promised a guaranteed paycheck for at least another two years, maybe even up to enough for another syndication run if the show maintained an audience. Now that's all gone.

Fuck apologizing to that planet of the apes haircut looking woman*, where's the apology to the cast and crew she completely pulled the rug out from under?

*does that push it closer to the edge of "ok"? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It's troubling to see people past the age of 50, who have access to so much new and relevant information via the internet, choose to remain bigoted.
    I can't wait until you're old and out of touch. It'll be interesting to see if your views change once you're part of the problem.