Page 1275 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 126112711273127412751276127712791289 ... LastLast
Results 12,741 to 12,750 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. That blog thinks thinks the gig/service economy is a product of convenience obsession and millennial whatevs attitude toward ownership and privacy rather than a narrowing of reliable, full-time income options in the economy Forbes readers ruined. Good lord.

Id say that it's half and half. There definitely is an anti ownership group. But who is to say there wasn't always people like that?

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a mental disorder that's always existed. Something similar to ocd cleaning.

3. I would have cleaning OCD if I had to share stuff with everybody else.

I think it is more likely that things will get so disposable that people will use something one time and put it in the trash and order another. But that goes against the nara time of the write up. I wonder what Netflix and steam did to this kid?

I mean shit, can you imagine the fuel that will be wasted if large physical goods become rental services? How much gas would it take to transport a fucking kitchen aid mixer across Manhattan every single day?

6. From that marketwatch article, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 10.15.11 AM.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	81377

7. The gig economy is an extension of convenience, though, ARBM. I pay for Netflix because it's convenient and has a lot of content, not because I can't afford to buy DVDs or whatever.

I like how the article implies that everyone owns bicycles instead of using a bike sharing service. That seems like the most obvious place to rely on free access.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. Fair point! But we don't have a ton of Uber drivers because of tepid attitudes toward car ownership. We have them because people need to supplement their stagnant wages. This isn't a separate, convenience and anti-consumerism driven phenomenon from the decline of longterm, stable, career-type employment options. It's a consequence of it.

I would say that is correct.

Something the article ignores is the areas the changes have not impacted ownership. People still want to own land in the sterotypical awesome places. And the information age has made that super easy. So the only barrier is the price.

With ease 9f access driving the price up, none of us will be able to afford water front property or property in the top 10 us cities.

Prices on anything else awesome are also going up. Most people have been priced out of classic cars. And a boat and truck to pull it are a separate car payment.

How does someone making below 45k a year afford not to lease a boat trip?