Page 1155 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 114111511153115411551156115711591169 ... LastLast
Results 11,541 to 11,550 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. If I can't be the first, why bother?
    Can anyone name the 127th person to summit Everest?

A popular theory on the chans today is that it was a fbi/cia fast and furious gun deal gone wrong. That this guy was really an agent and got found out by the buyer. They flipped out, shot him, attacked the crowd then left in the 20 or 30 minutes it took the cops to get up there between the end of the shots and the cops busting in the door.

The justifications are:

All the guns are the same. All of the clips are the same. Collectors and gun nuts don't buy piles of the same shit. Criminals and terrorists do.
    Planted cameras all over the place.
    The mysterious life style. The piles of "gambling" money. The two aircraft. Never living in a place too long.

the chans think the deal was for ISIS. But given that they shot trump supporters, it might have been Mexican drug lords. That would also explain the anti country trump targets.

3. Occam would use his razor to slit his wrists after reading that.

Y'know, as much as I loved The X-files, I really think it had a severe negative impact on the world. Way too many motherfuckers seem to think it was a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    A popular theory on the chans today is that it was a fbi/cia fast and furious gun deal gone wrong. That this guy was really an agent and got found out by the buyer. They flipped out, shot him, attacked the crowd then left in the 20 or 30 minutes it took the cops to get up there between the end of the shots and the cops busting in the door.

The justifications are:

All the guns are the same. All of the clips are the same. Collectors and gun nuts don't buy piles of the same shit. Criminals and terrorists do.
    Planted cameras all over the place.
    The mysterious life style. The piles of "gambling" money. The two aircraft. Never living in a place too long.

the chans think the deal was for ISIS. But given that they shot trump supporters, it might have been Mexican drug lords. That would also explain the anti country trump targets.
    Stop acting like an idiot.
    Boo, Hiss.

I'm just making conversation.

6. Don't make stupid conversation.

The first step is stay the fuck off the chans.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I don't know, have either of you been right about anything to do with this story?

I was right that it wasn't an automatic. And I was right when I repeated that the chans thought it was a AR with some kind of auto kit on it.

Its getting a little silly at this point, but I'm still batting better than you two. You didn't even know the Mulford Act was a response to the black panthers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

8. I've always been right that the chans are the fucking dregs of humanity and spending time there drags you down to their level.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

even bbobbchan?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I was talking about this in chat, but I've been reading this topic on TNL all day and haven't had a chance to respond yet bc wow school is busy omg. Anyway. I'm super tired so if this doesn't make sense I'll try and clarify.

So, one of the courses I'm taking this quarter is Criminology, and it's taught by someone who has been doing research in the Criminal Justice field for many, many years, and of course when we got to class today we're like "OMG! VEGAS!" and picked her brain a bit. So, she passed along this theory to us, known as "The Riot" or "Threshold" theory. (It was kinda springboarded of Malcom Gladwell's theory of "the tipping point.") I found it really interesting and not something I'd really thought about analytically and in this context before, so I thought I'd pass it along.
    Anyway, after Columbine, we've had pretty consistent mass shootings. We don't know exactly why, but some social scientists put it like this. Say you're in a big group with 100 people or so, just doing normal stuff, talking, laughing, whatever. One guy picks up a rock and throws it at a window. Most of the group balks and is like, "wtf?" But then another guy says "fuck it! I'm gonna throw a rock too!" and he starts throwing rocks at windows. We know that for the second guy, his threshold was one person - i.e., all it took was one person committing an act of deviance that "gave him permission," socially, to start committing the act himself. And then say there's a person next to him, and he starts throwing rocks. His threshold of allowance was seeing two other people throw rocks. Pretty soon, more than half the group is throwing rocks, or 55% of the group, or 90% of the group, and on and on and on. Depending on what an individual's "Threshold" is, seeing one person, or 5 people, or however many people committing an act of deviance (or crime,) they will follow.
    So in the case of mass shooters, are we dealing with this threshold theory? Is every new shooter a case of someone hitting their individual threshold? My professor remarked that usually this threshold of mass violence can be compounded by mental or emotional issues, because obviously the social norm of not killing people is pretty strong. But if all these small things add up together - say, politics, a divorce, mental illness or lowered inhibitions, credit card debt, whatever the factors - and this is compounded with someone hitting their individual threshold....well, we get the Vegas shooter. I just thought that was a super fascinating way to look at it. It may be sort of well, duh type of thing, but I'd never heard it broken down that way before.
    My initial reaction is that this is a troublesome theory because it's basically boiled down to "I didn't know I could do that until I saw someone else do it." I think it might be true, as you do see suicides increase whenever suicide is brought up, but it could easily be extrapolated to violent movies and video games increase violent behavior, and I don't think this board would like to entertain that thought.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!