Page 1336 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 13221332133413351336133713381340 ... LastLast
Results 13,351 to 13,360 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. I guess I'll add those publishers to the list of companies I don't buy shit from.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Wow that's crappy.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Akon builds a Crypto-city?

When Grammy Award-nominated singer Akon tried to convert some of Senegal’s currency to euros during a trip from Dakar to Paris a few years back, he was met with resistance. An employee at the currency exchange counter in France told him, “Unfortunately, we don’t take those.”

“I’m like, ‘What?’” Akon recalled in a recent phone interview with Bloomberg News. He hadn’t had time to convert one currency to the other before he left for his trip and was stuck with a pocketful of CFA francs -- the currency used in many French-speaking West African countries, including Senegal -- and nowhere to spend them.

“It really just opened my eyes,” said Akon, 47, in the interview. “That really catapulted the energy to say ‘We have to have our own currency. I don’t care what it takes -- we’re going to fix this.’”

The encounter served as a catalyst for one of his newest ventures, Akoin, a cryptocurrency that will also be the local currency in Akon City, a 2,000-acre development in Senegal.
    https://www.blackenterprise.com/6-bi...ty-in-senegal/
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-senegal-city
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01 Jul 2020 at 06:26 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I sure can't wait for a room or arrogant old people to question people that are much smarter than them about technology they don't even understand enough to form rational queries about!

6. That's valid, but they're still monopolies with 10-20 years of dominance which need to be broken up. They're no better than Ma Bell or Standard Oil.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. So which one has a monopoly on what?

8. Ma Bell and Standard Oil weren't the only ones in business, but they dominated enough that no one could compete.

These companies overlap such as Google vs Apple in phone OS, Apple vs MS in PC OS, and Facebook vs Google in advertising. And that may negate the monopoly argument, but Google should have never been allowed to buy YouTube and Facebook buy Instagram and Twitch.

Amazon utterly dominates retail, but I guess the US never did anything about Walmart when it was king, but then Amazon doesn't have a K-Mart either...

Facebook, Google, and Amazon all have the power to alter group norms through their dominance and control of what the public sees. That tactic has been going on for a century, but do we really want 3 companies making these decisions vs 100's of them?

monopoly on what?
    Facebook - Advertising, Consumer Mental Space
    Google - Browser, Influencer Marketing
    Amazon - Retail, market space

1) Here are the top website rankings:
    Click for full size

2) And here are the top ten mobile apps according to a survey. Guess which 4 companies dominate all top 10?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_tech_energy.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	81803  
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05 Jul 2020 at 11:48 PM.

9. Amazon bought Twitch.

10. Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww