Page 641 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 627637639640641642643645655 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,410 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Environmental impact and shitty labor practices.
    While I agree on a macro level, there is nothing we do or partake of that doesn't have an environmental impact and shitty labor practices.

2. Yes, but digital is the more ethically and environmentally sensitive choice. There are environmental and (probably) labor issues associated with reusable bags and cups, too. That's no reason for people to throw their hands up at the whole thing and use a billion disposable plastic bags and cups instead.

I'm still using physical for everything but music. Just sayin' there is a big drawback to physical is all.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 25 Jan 2015 at 01:00 PM.

3. While space is a trade off I absolutely prefer a library of books and games to reducing my likes to what fits on a hard drive. Granted part of it is art books never seem a good fit for digital and my game collection is more gap insurance between family savings and any major financial issue that might arise.

4. Hard drive manufacturers are the epitome of ethical and environmental sensitivity? I think not.
    I'd like to know the footprint left by downloading a 50gb file as opposed to pressing a disc. I wouldn't argue that it's not smaller, but I wouldn't think it's drastically smaller.
    Why are you arguing that physical media isn't reusable? Daddy Warbucks up there is preaching there is no value to a disc, but then says it's worth $4. 4 >0, so there is value, the media is reusable, and unless you are a hoarder and must have 1000 movies and shows you'll never watch (in which case, there is more at issue than the space they'd take up) then there is no "real" space issue. I believe most of us are home owners and don't live in Japan-style closet apartments.

Some people don't like owning things. They get in the way when it comes time to snort a line of coke off a glass table top.

6. That shelf space is devoted to my bongs, maaannnnn.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Daddy Warbucks up there is preaching there is no value to a disc
    No, I am preaching there is no value to a disc *to me*. I don't care what you do bro.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Hard drive manufacturers are the epitome of ethical and environmental sensitivity? I think not.
    Heck no, they're not! But I don't understand why you keep pushing everything to absolutes. I never said hard drive manufacturers or server manufacturers for isps or anyone else who nets your flicks are the epitome of anything. All I said, or at least all I meant, was that digital is environmentally friendlier than physical.
    I'd like to know the footprint left by downloading a 50gb file as opposed to pressing a disc. I wouldn't argue that it's not smaller, but I wouldn't think it's drastically smaller.
    Than just pressing a disc? No, the cost of transferring a file probably isn't that much smaller. But don't forget to factor in manufacturing the case, producing the dyes for the case and insert, producing the wrapping, flying and shipping all that stuff from their separate locations all over the world (from the countries that have lax or no restrictions about dumping the byproducts of this stuff into the water), shipping it from where it is assembled to retail warehouses, then from the warehouses to the retailer, then from the retailer to you whether you pick it up or have it delivered. Sure, hard drives used to store movies are problematic, but so is the thing you play your DVD and Blu Ray on.
    Why are you arguing that physical media isn't reusable?
    That wasn't what I meant. I just meant to give another example of a choice between something bad and something less bad. Reusable bags are bad, but not as bad as disposable. Digital movies are bad, but not as bad as physical. I offered this as a downside of physical media because you asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    What's the downside to physical, the small amount of space the case takes up?

9. The net runs on electricity. Most of which is derived from nuclear/fossil fuels. I can lay out a knee bone is connected to the thigh bone map much like yours to show how "dirty" the processes supporting downloading is as well.

If you prefer the accessibility and portability of digital over physical; I can't arjue against those preferences. I prefer the quality and tangibility of physical. But I still believe digital's greatest attraction is mostly about theft. Maybe not for a single person on this board, but in general it absolutely is. The music industry isn't dead because everyone decided they hated records, tapes, and CDs.

10. Wellp, I was probably wrong.

http://www.dvd-and-beyond.com/displa...p?article=2075

For huge files like games and 4k movies, Blu Ray is markedly better! This study uses PS3 download speed as its benchmark, though. And it assumes consumers buy more than just a game on their trips. And it's Austria. I'd like to see one with movie filesize and reasonable download speeds.