Page 1288 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 127412841286128712881289129012921302 ... LastLast
Results 12,871 to 12,880 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. I actually think I may be lucky to have had parents that were so impossibly checked out that I was never put on any sort of medication Whatsoever.

Instead, I ran wild in the streets. Fuckin' Literally, All Day. And had Experiences. With Other Children of All Races. Every Day Of My Life.

I lived Around The Corner From Where My Best Friend At School (Michaela Fucking Garecht) Was Actually Kidnapped.

By the Rainbow Foods Where We Shopped All the Time. By the Video Store Where I Played Street Fighter II. The One With The Ghoulies Poster In The Window.

I remember the night when my mom got the call that Michaela had been kidnapped. She was probably already dead by that time. I was playing Nintendo in the living room while my mom took the call.

She told me immediately that she had been kidnapped. No lies at all. My mom did that.

I was too young to know what that meant at the time. I just never saw her again.

AND YET

This had no bearing on my ability to go outside by myself All Day Long, Every Day. I continued to ride my bike all over town at my leisure, with all of my Rainbow Gang human irl friends every single today.

Isn't that FUCKIN WILDERNESS SHIT?
    Last edited by cigsthecat; 03 Oct 2018 at 04:50 PM.

I'm sorry for your loss, but almost everyone on TNL is before helicopter parents.

3. W/E. Childhood kid-on-the-loose memories are fun. I used to explore an actual goddamn alligators-and-poisonous-snakes swamp with a machete when I was a kid, my only rule was 'get in before dark'.

I grew up in a really bizarre and magical place. St. John's River on one side against a bulkhead, progressively flanked by swamps, orange groves, an Indian burial mound, cow pastures, and an airfield. It would rain and arrowheads would poke up out of the clay roads. Friends and I would have amazing wars, rotting oranges and discs of dried cow manure were flung as deadly weapons.

To go swimming, I'd haul a shotgun down to the end of the dock with me and fire a round into the water, just to see if any alligators would jump. If they did, I'd just wait a few minutes before jumping in the water, they'd be long gone by then. Totally safe. I only had to scramble out of the water up a slippery ladder once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Nope.

5. There was a natural attrition to children in Florida. Coming back from summer break, every year, you’d hear about a kid that drowned, or was attacked by an alligator, or just vanished.

“Did you hear about Tommy? Didn’t make it.”

“Bummer. What are we doing today?”

“Exploring the Everglades with no parental supervision whatsoever.”

“Rad.”
    Boo, Hiss.

6. The math was usually, 'well am I going to definitely not die today, or am I going to have fun?'

Growing up like that absolutely put me on a motorcycle in my late 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Cigs, are you shitting us? Was the girl ever found?

As typical with growing up in an somewhat abusive household, most attempts to escape it were pretty much followed by more abusive scenarios - I didn’t get into shit so much like most boys do, like wandering around with strangers or anything like that. No playing with guns or close calls - hell, I didn’t even try weed until I was 16. But, I was pretty naturally fascinated by bullies and usually fell in with shitty people who in turn treated me like shit. And then, obviously, I turned around and bullied others. (Which lasted into my young adult years via internet. I’m pretty ashamed of the whole deal.)

But anywhoo, yeah, I never had any cool dangerous things happen, just a lot of mundane BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Nm! Not shitting us. Jesus, what a terrible story. I’m so sorry. I dunno if you’ve looked at this or if it would bother you but unresolved mysteries on reddit has a thread about her here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedM...sing_29_years/
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    There was a natural attrition to children in Florida. Coming back from summer break, every year, you’d hear about a kid that drowned, or was attacked by an alligator, or just vanished.

“Did you hear about Tommy? Didn’t make it.”

“Bummer. What are we doing today?”

“Exploring the Everglades with no parental supervision whatsoever.”

“Rad.”
    Word. Adam Walsh was abducted literally 20 minutes from where I lived, and I ran all over the neighborhood without any supervision. NO WAY would I let my kids do that today.

10. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt