Page 1210 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 119612061208120912101211121212141224 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,100 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

Adult is a concept that means different things to different people.

Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    But we've all been children, and were raised to adulthood.
    I've eaten good food, I'm sure I can make it was well as Icarus even though I have no experience as a chef.

That doesn't work, because food (unless you're in Asia) isn't aware of how it was prepared.

It also can't reflect on how it was prepared with the chef later in life.

I see this come up all the time and it's always the people without kids who are the experts and would never hit a child, how dare you, all the studies.

I think spanking is fine when warranted. Not abuse, not using a belt or punching a kid or leaving welts or marks. Just spanking. Pain is a shock that snaps you out of whatever it is you're doing and makes you pay attention. It's how your body teaches you what actions to avoid biologically. Don't touch the fire, got it. Thanks, pain!

I don't understand trying to sit a very young child down to have a philosophical discussion on what is right and wrong and why they shouldn't flip the fuck out when they go into TRU. They're totally still going to, and then what?

Fear is maybe not the best word, but respect is right. I see plenty of kids that don't respect their parents, at all (used to tutor) and the parents are HUGE pussies about it. Ohhh, they're like that, what can we do? He doesn't like to sit at his desk, can you do it outside with a million distractions? They're fucking KIDS, who cares what they want? You need to boot camp that shit down.

Anyway, my point is parents with asshole kids have more issues than just spanking or not. I think whoever mentioned that you're a parent, not a friend and need to follow through on punishment, however you set that up.

5. If your kid has never screamed "I hate you!" you're probably not doing it right.

I've mentioned it before, but the day my daughter sincerely thanked me for how she was raised was one of the best days of my life. It was when she entered college and saw on a large scale how useless and narcissistic a vast majority of her peer group is. People that hold no guilt when part of a group activity and do nothing, leaving everyone else to have to do more work to make up for it. Or act irresponsibly and it's no big deal mommy and daddy will take care of it. The kind of people that expect classmates to be their alarm and shit.

It was college and work for me. I still don't agree with a lot of things my mom did but I appreciate them a lot after just working with people. It's like holy shit, these people could be my parents? Fuck, I got lucky.

7. I mean it’s sounds pretty logical that people with kids would know best about these matters. Except that’s not how science works. You can’t just anecdote that away like unwashed idiots.

That being said I don’t believe spanking should be illegal (which was the original impetus for this line of discussion). It’s not that harmful to kids either if it’s used conservatively, and quite frankly the government has shown it can be punitive beyond reason.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 25 Jan 2018 at 12:37 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Except that’s not how science works
    Unless science is just a bunch of stats gathered from a collection of dodgy experiments and surveys with different methodologies, clumsily merged together to support a pre-determined conclusion, I really don't think that argument applies.
    "Science" also told us that eating a fuckton of simple carbo-hydrates is healthy, while red meat and eggs will kill you.

9. Moderation is key to everything.

10. We really need to get rid of the reputation limits. I rarely rep, yet today I wanted to do it twice and was unable to.