Page 573 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 559569571572573574575577587 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I've seen places that needed them, and didn't have them. And places that had them and didn't.
    Same.

I'm part of one and we need it. But I also worked at a another place that had it, and it protected/ensured hours for the laziest, shittiest people.

Unions had/have a place. And they are historically significant for introducing protections for non-union workers. There are some situations, however, where they only fuck things up (the TTC for instance).

2. You know what needs unions like it needs a Lincoln Continental driven through a glass pane window by a Sunday morning regular? Grocery stores. What bullshit.

3. Couldn't think of any where to put this, but just got back from a business trip in Europe. One of the stops was in Paris. As much bitching as I do about traffic, seeing how things move around the Arc de Triomphe gave me a new found appreciation for the bit of structure we have over here. Imagine a roundabout that's about 8 (maybe more) car lanes wide, but there are NO lane dividers and traffic is entering and leaving quickly in 10 different directions. Holy shit.
    Last edited by Type Ryan; 19 Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    You know what needs unions like it needs a Lincoln Continental driven through a glass pane window by a Sunday morning regular? Grocery stores. What bullshit.
    Werd.

5. Today's Random News

I worked a union job once. It was great.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014...even-the-score

some animals understand fairness. At least on an emotional level.

Interesting take aways.

Alpha chimps get the angriest when others get more than they do.
    Fairness is good for survival and social bonds.

I wonder what this all says about the 1%? They're dumber than chimps? That they don't consider themselves part of the lower social brackets, and thus feel no reason to share?

7. I think it's mostly about mitigating jealousy and keeping others placated, but it's also advantageous to ensure that others within your social group are getting what they need.

I think empathy plays a part, though who knows how much empathy a non human primate can process.

Empathy is an interesting thing. I wonder if anyone has actually studied where it comes from. It appears to be a combination of many smaller simple brain functions with a few higher. Like you're ability to process language, then imagine what is being said and then recalling similar emotional responses.

And it is interesting that we can control it. That we may refuse to feel empathy for people that we have classified as an 'other'

Like a southern mom that has brainwashed by her church may be able to feel empathy for her child that is in jail for murder, but not her other child that is gay.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...ually_anti_gay

apparently one of the tatu singers is a raging fag hater. It ranks slightly above being a murderer and drug addict.

But hey, girls kissing is ok with her because that is pretty.

10. I was worried that it was the hot redhead who said that. But it's just the 'eh' looking other one.

BTW, I love this quote: "Being gay is still better than murderers, thieves, or drug addicts. If you choose out of all this, being gay is better than the rest."