Page 1150 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 113611461148114911501151115211541164 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,500 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Let's start at "the only country where this happens regularly".

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...nglais-vehicle

2. Europe has been home to atrocities for millenia. We've only been around as an entire continent spanning nation for a couple of hundred years.
    I'm kinda tired of hearing/reading how awful we are as a people. Shit goes down everywhere. People are awful everywhere.

We will never stop this shit from happening. What we can do is limit the damage done. A heck of a lot fewer people would have been harmed had he been limited to a few rounds per magazine in non-automatic or semi-automatic guns.
    Outlaw their ownership and limit production to heavily regulated military contracts. Enough is enough.

3. Zero need for guns in a civil society. Zero. You need to hunt? Fine, do it like they used to, bow and arrow, or with a fucking spear. No worries about some fucker going Legolas on a crowd of people. If you claim that you need a gun maybe you shouldn't be hunting. Pick up a fucking fishing rod.

There is even LESS need for citizens to possess assault weapons. Leave it to the army. And if you feel the need to guarantee your freedom because you're worried about your government taking your rights away elect a new government. The country has existed for close to 250 years now, pretty sure the well regulated militia portion of that amendment hasn't existed since 1790. No sign of tyranny yet. Nothing to do with the right to bear arms. Everything to do with the goddamned American Dream. The right to Life Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

What the USA is suffering from is mass delusion and mass paranoia. It's disgusting that the US has devolved into what you've all let it become. Every single citizen is complicit in this, even if you claim you don't vote. In fact you're even worse. At least it could be claimed that people who vote for one or the other party are trying.
    The sooner your country pulls its head out of its collective asses the better the world will be.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    In fact you're even worse. At least it could be claimed that people who vote for one or the other party are trying.
    Oh, fuck off.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. LOL Canada. 137 died in Paris and 1195 in one week in Brazil. America is not any kind of special case.

Brazilians are far more likely to be shot to death than Americans, a more populous country where there are about 8,000 to 9,000 gun homicides each year.

Still, a group of Brazilian congressmen wants to make guns easier to obtain, modeling their proposal on U.S. legislation.

Right now, Brazil actually has tough gun laws. If you want to own a gun legally these are the requirements:

— a fixed address

— proof of legitimate income

— no criminal record

— a mental health test

— proof you know how to handle a gun and shoot it

— evidence of why you need a gun. For example, a police report of an attack against you.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...relax-gun-laws
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b0d99b4c921008
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-UN-says.html
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03 Oct 2017 at 04:03 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. I do think an education requirement should be mandatory to own a gun. It’s silly we require it for cars, but not guns. However, even with education, 33,000 people are killed by uneducated gun owners each year vs 37,000 killed by educated car owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi..._United_States
    http://asirt.org/initiatives/informi...ash-statistics
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03 Oct 2017 at 04:17 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Zero need for guns in a civil society. Zero. You need to hunt? Fine, do it like they used to, bow and arrow, or with a fucking spear. No worries about some fucker going Legolas on a crowd of people. If you claim that you need a gun maybe you shouldn't be hunting. Pick up a fucking fishing rod.
    I don't like hunting. I don't like guns, either. If someone wants to hunt with a gun, what is your actual objection, though? Is it that you view hunting as uncivilized? Not being a smartass this time, just curious.

Also, what about rural farmers who are trying to remain true to small methods? The ones who likely have livestock and such to protect from predators? I know there are protective measures that can be set up but animals eventually get around most of them.

And if you feel the need to guarantee your freedom because you're worried about your government taking your rights away elect a new government.
    Ah, good old Fantasy Land. I didn't know you lived there, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    37,000 killed by educated car owners.

http://asirt.org/initiatives/informi...ash-statistics
    I wish there was a way to bring the automobile-related stuff up without it being attached to THIS discussion. Car safety/quality of drivers is one of the few areas where anecdata is acceptable because everybody sees the same crap:

- People on their cell phones, either talking or texting
    - People who can't regulate the speed of their cars without braking
    - People who don't actually stop at lights/signs where it's blatantly clear you need to stop (I hate "stoptional," as well, but understand)
    - People with poorly-maintained vehicles
    - People who can't merge onto the highway properly
    - People who switch lanes without looking (even those sensors on newer cars don't seem to be helping)
    - People driving at a fixed/significantly slower speed when the rest of traffic is not OR rollercoaster drivers when the rest of traffic is fairly static

Didn't the France event prove that onion article wrong?
    Last edited by Fe 26; 03 Oct 2017 at 08:43 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    33,000 people are killed by uneducated gun owners each year vs 37,000 killed by educated car owners.
    Because many more people drive/in automobile to get to work.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I don't like hunting. I don't like guns, either. If someone wants to hunt with a gun, what is your actual objection, though? Is it that you view hunting as uncivilized? Not being a smartass this time, just curious.
    He's an indoctrinated Canadian. It's extremely common for Canadian men and women to completely misunderstand or outright reject the concept of personal freedom.

Literally no one said we need to have a talk about responsible car ownership when it was trucks and cars plowing people over (That killed 84 btw).

I don't understand owning guns. But the concept of people being free from a nanny government that can cherry pick their rights is extremely novel and rare. You do have to take the good w the bad. There is always a sacrifice to the philosophy you orient yourself around.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Also, what about rural farmers who are trying to remain true to small methods? The ones who likely have livestock and such to protect from predators? I know there are protective measures that can be set up but animals eventually get around most of them.
    They're criminal scum. If they can't protect their land from predators with a spade and a rape whistle they deserve to have their livestock eaten.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 03 Oct 2017 at 08:42 AM.