Page 1206 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 119212021204120512061207120812101220 ... LastLast
Results 12,051 to 12,060 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. When I was really shitty, my mom hit me with a wooden spoon. She's Italian.

I would like to see a study on all punishments for children. I have a feeling they all have the potential to damage. And not punishing them at all too.

Some of the worst bitches I ever knew were girls that were never spanked. They "were talked to" or more specifically, verbally manipulated by their parents. They gree into adults that did the same to those around them.

3. I'd rather risk them 'internalizing' than risk them turning out to be an asshole, but to each their own.
    Ideally, your children fear you enough not to be insolent, so there would never be a need for for beatings.

4. We had this discussion in the summer and it largely went the same way. I even posted the actual study.

It’s conclusively been proven that spanking doesn’t prevent assholes. The problem with that logic is that using violence to solve problems is usually an asshole thing to do.

5. I can't see how hitting your kid with an instrument is ever justifiable. Ever.

I get why you whack your kid if they try to sprint across the road. But the premeditation and just weird sadism inherent to finding a weapon with which to strike a child well-after the offense is fucked up.

I don't know man. My sister had a student that broke a teacher's back with a desk.

I'm not saying beating that kid is right. But I understand.

7. Let me make this clear, I'm in no way standing on a hill and saying that spanking a human automatically makes it a grow to be a great person. I'm saying that not spanking doesn't automatically make a human a broken or perennially damaged one.
    Spanking is but one tool in a box of many that can be used to train a child. It should no more be used as the sole deterrent than a screwdriver be the sole tool in your toolbox.
    When this was brought up before, so was the thesis that if you spank your kid you're automatically an abusive parent. I call bullshit on that the same way I'd call bullshit on the idea that if you have a drink you're automatically an alcoholic.
    It's been said that spanking can leave mental scars on a kid. I counter with that non-physical behavior can leave mental scars on a kid. What if I never spanked my kid, but I screamed at them every time he did something wrong. Think that's not going to leave an impression?

I can get behind ARBM's observation concerning the use of implements. The only reasons I can see to use belts, spoons, tree limbs, whatever is that they hurt more, which is unnecessary as an open palm hurts plenty enough or that the person doing the hitting wants to lessen the pain they feel. And fuck that. Disciplining your kid is never enjoyable, and it should hurt you a little physically and maybe a lot emotionally to strike a kid. It's become cliche, but the adage "this is going to hurt me more than you" is very real when it comes to parenting, and it's not contained to physical punishment. If your kid planned on going to some activity and was really hyped about it, but did something for which being made to stay home is a reasonable punishment, a good parent feels shitty about doing that. We (usually) instinctively want maximum happiness for our kids and depriving them of that, even when justified because of a punishment, feels really fucking shitty.

I also don't know how it was in the houses of yours that were spanked, but when I was spanked it was never a slap on the ass and then sent off somewhere. My dad sat me down, explained again why it was done, and comforted me. Spanking was done for correction. Not of anger. The only emotion I could attach to it was regret for fucking up. I didn't think my dad swatted me because he hated me. I didn't think he was a bully pushing a little kid around. I did something rather horrible, I got spanked, it's now over and forgotten. My indiscretion wasn't held over my head. In the above scenario, I'd much rather get a spanking and go do whatever was planned than sit in a room and miss out. But that's just me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I also don't know how it was in the houses of yours that were spanked, but when I was spanked it was never a slap on the ass and then sent off somewhere. My dad sat me down, explained again why it was done, and comforted me. Spanking was done for correction. Not of anger. The only emotion I could attach to it was regret for fucking up. I didn't think my dad swatted me because he hated me. I didn't think he was a bully pushing a little kid around. I did something rather horrible, I got spanked, it's now over and forgotten. My indiscretion wasn't held over my head. In the above scenario, I'd much rather get a spanking and go do whatever was planned than sit in a room and miss out. But that's just me.
    I'm kind of fascinated by this because its exactly how an S&M dynamic usually plays out in a master/sub relationship. The discipline mixed with the comfort/aftercare aspect, I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Well, sats just took this to an uncomfortable place.

10. backseat of a volkswagen beetle?