Page 1014 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 100010101012101310141015101610181028 ... LastLast
Results 10,131 to 10,140 of 13450

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Okay, I finally read the transcript of Shriver's speech, which can be found here: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-a-passing-fad

Her speech is a lot more thought out and important than the article posted, I maintain my stance that she was being petty by penning it as some sort of meaningful response. The speech is reasonable for about halfway, the article is accusatory and spiky throughout.

Here's where I dissent from the point. She makes 10000% sense to me until "Here's the bugbear" line. Her original points are reasonable, clear, concise, easy to grasp. Then she loops around to defend her own work, and the argument, imo, completely falls apart. I probably would have walked out too, not because of offensiveness but whenever a Boomer likes hearing themselves talk this much it never ends with anyone but themselves feeling satisfied, and it would be a waste of my time to hear someone platter on for an hour about their justifications of whatever. She creates MANY straw man points which are obnoxious at best - the whole "if _______, then, _________." She brings up the trans argument. "If you HAVE to have a trans person in your work, then it destroys all meaning." Well............no. First of all, 95% of the popular shows on TV don't feature anyone trans, and 95% of the shows in the 90s didn't feature any same sex character, I have no idea where she's making the assumption there. I mean, there was Ellen? And that show did a LOT to promote Lesbian/Gay visibility. She then admits to staying off Twitter and the like - but isn't this a willing avoidance of a dissenting voice as well, no different than walking out of a conference? One of my big issues with Boomer and X-ers is often a complete unwillingness to join the 21st century, and a common thread in arguments like hers. She can claim that millennials are too sensitive, but doesn't she engage in literally the exact same behavior by not joining the discussion taking place? She even says:
    Why, it’s largely in order to keep from losing my fictional mojo that I stay off Facebook and Twitter, which could surely install an instinctive self-censorship out of fear of attack.
    Uh....???? I dunno, very unconvinced on her overall points.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    In other news, looks like the Ferguson Effect is real.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-fbi-increase
    A lawless year of murderous rampage sure looks a lot like standard deviation from here. Only what, five years have seen lower murder rates since 1975 or so and you're going full Giuliani?

If it is a trend, it ain't a good one, but did we expect the murder rate to fall every single year forever?
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 26 Sep 2016 at 04:19 PM.

3. There hasn't been a more than 1% increase for a decade though.

4. I'm not boarding up my windows just yet. And attributing the rise to BLM or police violence seems specious. This summer was also the hottest on record, and crime tends to thrive in hot summers. How can we say that's any less (or more) responsible than the Ferguson Effect?

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I'm not boarding up my windows just yet. And attributing the rise to BLM or police violence seems specious. This summer was also the hottest on record, and crime tends to thrive in hot summers. How can we say that's any less (or more) responsible than the Ferguson Effect?
    Look it up. Numbers started ticking up in late 2014. They're going to be up again in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...econd-thoughts

6. Or don't. Fuck the haters, hold on to your space grandpa.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    In other news, looks like the Ferguson Effect is real.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-fbi-increase
    Eh, I guess get them in before hillary bans the fun guns and you have to do it with a pellet gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    One of my big issues with Boomer and X-ers is often a complete unwillingness to join the 21st century, and a common thread in arguments like hers.
    This is a pretty big gripe I have with older people in the work force. It is also a reason I really appreciate my dad because he does everything he can to understand computers and modern events.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    This is a pretty big gripe I have with older people in the work force. It is also a reason I really appreciate my dad because he does everything he can to understand computers and modern events.
    Your dad is really not the norm. I despise every time an Xer/Boomer teacher says "I don't get this whole technology thing, don't email me because I don't use it" and we're all sitting here, we HAVE to have email addresses and HAVE to have computer access to even attend college. Like, we showed up, where the fuck are you guys at?

/sees myself to the "bugging you" thread
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Lol, my dad figured out how to shoot the internet to his house from his office.

I work with old engineers that can't get their pics off their iphone.