Page 1221 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 120712171219122012211222122312251235 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,210 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Likewise, EVERY. SINGLE. EXAMPLE. you have brought to bear is undeniably social in origin. If it were 3000 years ago and I were a Persian king, I would likely wear makeup and a dress, walk with a swish of the hips, hold my cup in a way that would undoubtedly be regarded as feminine today, and would be considered the height of male power and masculinity.
    That’s why I was saying he keeps proving his own point, but I was too busy doing literal research on gender roles to keep it going lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    If it were 3000 years ago and I were a Persian king, I would likely wear makeup and a dress, walk with a swish of the hips, hold my cup in a way that would undoubtedly be regarded as feminine today, and would be considered the height of male power and masculinity.
    So 300's portrayal of Xerxes was accurate? I always thought they were just presenting him as a contrast to the hyper-masculine (by modern standards) Spartans, in typical old-school Hollywood "gay = evil" fashion.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 06 Feb 2018 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. Today's Random News

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    That’s why I was saying he keeps proving his own point, but I was too busy doing literal research on gender roles to keep it going lol
    Except the discussion was just the start of basic thought exercise setting the bounds to test your point. There were no definitive assertions even made. Just a request to hypothesize if people could still discern sex (even though diamorphism is low). This is an absolutely dishonest portrayal of this discussion. I can see why people accuse the social sciences of being lax on methodology. I have literally never denied or claimed that there is no social influence on gender roles and characteristics. Not once.

It’s the exact same with the other side btw. All biology and no social influence.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 06 Feb 2018 at 01:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Except for we have someone who literally went to school for evolutionary developmental biology who is arguing for the rationality of social constructs but o k
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Again, no one is stating social constructs don’t exis... oh why bother. It’s clear you’re only willing to discuss a premise if it can lead to a tidy self fulfilled conclusion and select out any discussion about it as hostile.

If you have any interesting lit to share I’d be happy to read it, but this is clearly the wrong forum to discuss this.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. I love to see a good retreat that declares victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. So what was the point of all this again? Was it that moderate levels of visible sexual dimorphism indicates that neurological dimporhism isn't real and Drew is a shitlord?

I seem to remember something about women choosing different careers than men even when opportunity is more or less equal. Also, we have to pick sides based on whether we think that's 100% cultural or 100% biological, and then get angry at each other.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So what was the point of all this again? Was it that moderate levels of visible sexual dimorphism indicates that neurological dimporhism isn't real and Drew is a shitlord?

I seem to remember something about women choosing different careers than men even when opportunity is more or less equal. Also, we have to pick sides based on whether we think that's 100% cultural or 100% biological, and then get angry at each other.
    Yeah I'm lost.

Also, shut up, dummy!

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So what was the point of all this again? Was it that moderate levels of visible sexual dimorphism indicates that neurological dimporhism isn't real and Drew is a shitlord?

Hard to say because they never truly outlined a premise. But based on the Thaddeus video posted they’re saying the entire classification of men and women is a social construct. What I found out was that it’s a with them or against the kind of thing.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 06 Feb 2018 at 09:14 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Baller Biff's Academy of Bullshitting TNL.
    Good school