Page 1276 of 1345 FirstFirst ... 126212721274127512761277127812801290 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,760 of 13449

Thread: Today's Random News

1. Exactly! People aren't renting and subletting (rented) unused rooms for a few days at a time because they don't care about privacy or buying homes any more than people going through garbage cans for food don't care about privacy or buying meals any more than people are stringing together gigs because they aren't interested in careers. The new economy created a culture of transience for both working and consuming, not the other way around.

In other words,

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    What is this anti Marxian nonsense
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 14 Aug 2018 at 12:19 PM.

I do wonder what the end game is for the property . These areas are in high demand because of their culture. What is it worth when it's nothing but rich assholes?

3. You'll never know.

4. Around here every third car on the road is a Lyft. I'm sure the rest are all Ubers, but they don't seem to make you put a cute little light on your car.

5. Many drivers have both Lyft and Uber simultaneously.

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Fair point! But we don't have a ton of Uber drivers because of tepid attitudes toward car ownership. We have them because people need to supplement their stagnant wages. This isn't a separate, convenience and anti-consumerism driven phenomenon from the decline of longterm, stable, career-type employment options. It's a consequence of it.
    You're right! The story was written from a consumer perspective (services are free), and I forgot the service-side. I think when you make the argument that services can be provided free, it's obvious that people will use it. All of social media is based on free/ad-supported business models. And I think the arguments against social media as a free service could be transferred to other services pretty easily.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Except all these Uber/Lyft drivers are going to be SOL when the companies start deploying self driving cars from central hubs. It will be safer, cheaper, and faster. We're not long from automated bus systems either. No one will drive in ~25 years, owning your own car will become enormously expensive and those with manual cars will be paying enormous insurance rates, so only the wealthy can afford it.

Better get your UBI legislature ready, cause we're gonna need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

I doubt it.

Self driving cars for all, are pointless. At that point, we're better off shit canning the while personal car experience and replacing it with trains, trollies, busses, etc.

Why waste all that fuel and land for roads on self driving bubbles when public transit would do that all better?

10. Our infrastructure is not ready for self-driving cars. We can't even get self-stopping trains here.