Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas! My computer won't work.

1. Merry Christmas! My computer won't work.

Well, fun. Just got parts and Orange Box and the ol' Computer won't output video from my AGP slot.

I just got a new, 500W Cooler master Power Supply, a gig of Kingston RAM, and that Sapphire X1650 512MB AGP card. Popped everything in. No video.

Took out the RAM. No video.

Put in the old graphics card. No video.

Tried another monitor. No video.

If this thing doesn't work, I do believe my family's going to flip a shit. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? Thanks'much.

2. Is it powering up? Maybe try the old power supply with the old card.

3. Unplug it and remove the cmos battery and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Put it all back together and try again.

4. Is it powering up? Maybe try the old power supply with the old card.
    Popped all of the old stuff back in. Still nothing.

Unplug it and remove the cmos battery and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Put it all back together and try again.
    I tried flopping the jumper around for a few and got nothing. I'll give this a shot, though. I hope it works, though, or my family will never consider upgrading ever again.

Nope, didn't work. Fuck.
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 25 Dec 2007 at 12:38 PM.

5. santa hates you

is the power supply plugged in properly? is it "turned on?"

6. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    santa hates you
    Wouldn't doubt that.

is the power supply plugged in properly? is it "turned on?"
    As far as I know, it's all fine. I'll admit, I haven't had a reason to replace or fool around with a PSU yet, but I thought it was self-explanatory.

The 20-pin Molex is in the motherboard, as is the 4-pin square guy with the yellow and black wires over on the other side. Otherwise, I have one of those chains of the white, 4-pin connectors running into my two DVD drives and the end, small connector into the diskette drive. I have the second chain running the first connector into the hard drive and the small one into the new video card. The new one has a bunch of black connectors that I probably have no reason to use.

Am I doing something horribly wrong? Did I store too many giggerwebs in my flux capacitor?

7. Theres a black switch on most psu's on the outside of the machine, where the power cord goes, it looks like the power switch on the back of the playstation 2. If its switched to off power wont run at all. So try switching it and powering it up.

edit: and have you checked your power bar? maybe it's off.

8. Make sure you didn't accidently unplug the switch that says PWR on the Motherboard.

9. The motherboard itself gets power, lights up, fans spin, etc. The main power is no problem. I was more worried I mixed up a few connectors and it wasn't receiving correct power.

I'm starting to wonder if the stupid AGP port just shorted and died.

10. You ever get anywhere with this Chao?
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.