Thread: Lone Wolf Adventures

1. Yield Lone Wolf Adventures

So, perusing over a new book listing I came across a reprinting of the first Lone Wolf book, Flight From the Dark.

I had completely forgotten that these even existed or that when I was growing up these were some of the few books that made me love reading.They were something more active and involved due to the whole choose your own path, choose your skills and discipines and if you didnt make the right choices in previous books then, 4 books in you might have some trouble. Man, I loved these.

Looking around on Wikipedia there were like 32 of these, and Im sure I only read up through maybe 10 of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_%28gamebooks%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Wolf_gamebooks

Even the covers of these bring back old memories. My inner geek wants to go track down and read through them all over again but apparently I dont have to. Some website got the authors permission and compiled most of the books for free viewing.

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Not the same as having the book but, I guess its better than nothing.

Did anyone else here ever grow up reading some of these, or still do?
    I read one other series that was really good to, and had a generalized fantasy setting but I cant find the name of it on Wiki or the internet.One of the covers had this kid fighting a crazy green skinned grim reaper dude who was trying to hack his head off..fuck what was that called?

Edit: Found it -

http://www.gamebooks.org/gallery/gdfg3a.jpg
    Last edited by Jetman; 29 Dec 2007 at 07:29 PM.

2. Ha, I remember those! Came across them when I asked a crappy local bookstore for DnD and that was the closest thing they had. I actually ran a character from the first book through the eighth or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. I have a bunch of these from back in the day on my bookshelf still.

Good stuff and I remember loving them as a kid.

Great topic that warrants a sword of +1 damage!

4. Im glad you guys replied. I was thinking, "well fuck, NOONE here has seen these? <sad face>"

Quote Originally Posted by The Gas
    Ha, I remember those! Came across them when I asked a crappy local bookstore for DnD and that was the closest thing they had. I actually ran a character from the first book through the eighth or so.
    You know,I think I came across them the same way. At some point when I was younger I was curious about DnD because there were news stories on 60 minutes and stuff about how kids had died because of it. Like acting out fantasies and larping in the woods or something. " I shall stab you with +12 Bastard Sword, knave" and then actually stabbed the other kid? And of course if it was 'dangerous' and 'bad' then I probably had an urge to try it out. My parents wouldnt buy me DnD shit because of this but the bookstore clerk told them these were safe so I ended up with Lone Wolf instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Nemo
    I have a bunch of these from back in the day on my book shelf still.

Good stuff and I remember loving them as a kid.

Great topic that warrants a sword of +1 damage!
    Argh, you have these?! Jealousy!

I think I may try to track them down, its just not the same as reading a pdf. file on that site.

If you ever think to get rid of them, give me a heads up and Ill take them off your hands

And supposedly some of the later volumes of these fetch a hefty dollar sum on Ebay too?

5. Also read these as a kid. Lots of fun and good stories at the time, though only had up to around book six when they started to become hard for me to find.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau View Post
    Also read these as a kid. Lots of fun and good stories at the time, though only had up to around book six when they started to become hard for me to find.
    Cool, yeah,I think I stopped reading them for the same reason.They're still hard to find too. Im not seeing very many E-bay listings or any in stock from a few random bookstores I checked...

7. just noticed the thread, yeah i used to love the lonewolf books, and the grey star ones too. the us got the first 2 series, and was starting to get the third (ultrakai) series when the publisher apparently dropped the ball, its a shame because i really enjoyed them. For the pnp gamers, mongoose publishing put out a rulebook for a lonewolf game, and 2 supplemental books, even if you dont plan on playing, they are interesting if you were really intrigued by the lore and backstory. also, some european group is apparently making a gothic-ish game based on flight from the dark, that could be good. If they ever started printing the ones we didnt get in the us, id be there in a sec.
    edit: not european apparently, singaporean, it was a former british colony, so i was close:P :
    http://www.ksatria.com/Products_01.html

and yeah i had all 6 of those golden dragon books too, they varied in quality but outside of the weird covers, they were pretty good.
    Last edited by frostwolf ex; 02 Jan 2008 at 12:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

8. Quote Originally Posted by frostwolf ex View Post
    just noticed the thread, yeah i used to love the lonewolf books, and the grey star ones too. the us got the first 2 series, and was starting to get the third (ultrakai) series when the publisher apparently dropped the ball, its a shame because i really enjoyed them. For the pnp gamers, mongoose publishing put out a rulebook for a lonewolf game, and 2 supplemental books, even if you dont plan on playing, they are interesting if you were really intrigued by the lore and backstory. also, some european group is apparently making a gothic-ish game based on flight from the dark, that could be good. If they ever started printing the ones we didnt get in the us, id be there in a sec.
    edit: not european apparently, singaporean, it was a former british colony, so i was close:P :
    http://www.ksatria.com/Products_01.html

and yeah i had all 6 of those golden dragon books too, they varied in quality but outside of the weird covers, they were pretty good.

Fuckin A, LoneWolf could be ridiculously awesome as a videogame series.The world,lore,and Kai skill set are just ripe material for it.

I never read Grey Star, but they have one or two up on that Aeon website so Ill probably take a look at them.

Those Golden Dragon books were cool for the time. I think I may try to track those down along with the Lone Wolf series. It may be kind of gay, but Id like to look at those again for nostalgic sake.

I think I also had one of these, GI Joe: Find Your Fate

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=161

This one to be exact:

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=1112

Last edited by Jetman; 02 Jan 2008 at 04:12 AM.

9. had 2 of those, the one where you were the martial arts expert guy and working with snake eyes, and another i cant remember right now. My grandmother used to work at woolworths, and they used to get all these books, so i used to get them at a discount, choose your own adventure too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

10. I got the first few of these way back in the day. I'm sure I still have them somewhere. I remember dying a few times in the first book, though, and then feeling like I had to start all over (or else it would be cheating) -- which I did. Several restarts later and I came to hate my fickle dice with a burning passion. I eventually gave up.

I still love the idea of tracking your character's stats on a separate piece of paper, and nurturing him through a series of stories. Are there current CYOA novels that let you do this?