Page 1 of 51 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning To Play Guitar

1. Learning To Play Guitar

My g/f got me a Gibson-Baldwin Genre Electric SG guitar for Christmas (I've wanted to get back into playing guitar for a long time). When I was a kid I played guitar a little but I've forgotten most of it. I've started learning to play by practicing different chords (A, Am, G, E, Em, D, Dm, C, F) and mostly just messing around with strumming. Anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions on the best way to start learning to play?

2. Learn how to hold a pick properly.

3. The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Power chrords, olol. I taught myself with Nirvana and REM (Monster) records forever ago.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Learn how to hold a prick properly.
    omg

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Spo, I've been "learning" how to play a guitar for 10 years, my only advice is to not quit once you start, it's not like riding a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Spo, I've been "learning" how to play a guitar for 10 years, my only advice is to not quit once you start, it's not like riding a bike.
    Ditto. Except my advice is to not bother starting at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

8. My Blue Box came in the mail today. It's a fuzz pedal that also doubles your signal 2 octaves down. It sounds like the mother fucking apocalypse. I have to play through my bass rig since the guitar rig just can't handle all the low end I'm pushing.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. I've been checking out guitar tabs and even the Nirvana stuff seems pretty insane; should I be focused on playing chords at first or jump into lead guitar tabs? I tried to learn the intro to Stairway to Heaven and it made my brain hurt.

10. How about you learn how to even move your hand around on the fret first? If your hands aren't in sync, you're doomed to fail. Don't learn to cover songs until about a 8-12 months after you've been playing guitar.