Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Troubleshooting

PC Troubleshooting

Alright so I think my PSU crapped out last night. I can start my computer for 5-10 seconds and then it shuts off again. If I let it sit for a while like overnight and then try again, it goes a little longer-- I was actually able to check my email before it shut off today.

PSU problem?

Also, since I'm undoubtedly going to have to replace this I've got some other questions:

I'd prefer to replace it with a laptop but I've got too many harddrives inside that I want and too expensive an audio card and speakers that would be useless with a laptop.

Could I encase all of the harddrives externally and have them all connected? Can I connect them to my current Mac (non-Intel) laptop? My actual external for some reason doesn't like my Mac.

Also, is it possible to externally house the audio card? This one I'm grasping for straws at since it's likely not even possible, and if it's not possible, then I'l l probably just be buying a new PSU (if that's the problem) instead of a laptop.

Thanks lovers <3

2. Sounds more like a CPU problem than a PSU problem.

That'd be very homo.

I was thinking either PSU or RAM.

I don't even have any spare parts around to troubleshoot with.

4. If it were RAM, you wouldn't have even been able to get so far as the OS booting.

If you put the computer together, make sure you have enough thermal paste on the CPU and that it's cooling properly. If it overheats even a little the entire computer will shut off.

5. It very much sounds like a PSU issue, or the cpu over heating. If the cooling is good on the cpu "when" you get it on long enough to get into the bios and find out then look at the PSU.

You could always get some external HD enclosures.
    Last edited by JMET; 31 Dec 2007 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMET View Post
    It very much sounds like a PSU issue, or the cpu over heating. If the cooling is good on the cpu "when" you get it on long enough to get into the bios and find out then look at the PSU.

You could always get some external HD enclosures.
    Now it's not starting at all so I'm going to just buy a new PSU and hope for the best.

I also need an enclosure just to get my O drive with me to London...I can't go without half of my music for 4 months.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Now it's not starting at all so I'm going to just buy a new PSU and hope for the best.

I also need an enclosure just to get my O drive with me to London...I can't go without half of my music for 4 months.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Good and bad news.

Good news: New PSU is in and computer now works. Hooray.

Bad news: The fucking PSU fan is grinding against something and making the most horrible noise ever. I opened up the metal grating and played with the fan. I failed. FUCK Time to return this shit.

9. You know by opening the grate you void the warranty, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    You know by opening the grate you void the warranty, right?
    There was nothing to prove that I opened it. Just 4 screws.