Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The Completion Thread 2008

Stuck at home so I dug into my old pile, destroyed Mega Man Zero in normal mode; now I'm about three missions away from an all S Hard Mode run.

Good game, too bad I never bought 2, 3, 4, ZX, or ZX Advent =[

Also: beat every challenge in Contra 4, plus easy and normal mode. Haven't tried hard yet but the game is pretty easy, all things considered.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. 1. Super Mario Galaxy
    Completed the Main Game, that's enough for me. I'll go back to it, but not right now.

3. 2. Everblue 2 - PS2

I got about 12 hours in a couple years ago, and really enjoyed what I played. It's a little bit like an underwater King's Field -- slow-paced, big focus on exploration, death around every corner... okay, maybe not that last one, but the Grim Reaper definitely does lurk inside a few dark nooks.

So, in anticipation of Endless Ocean later this month, I dove back in and finished the game over the past two nights.

And my, what a pleasant little adventure collect-em-up this ended up being! Gameplay is as follows: dive, explore the ocean floor/sunken ship/underwater ruin, gather up goods, surface, get them identified, sell off your extras, then back down to do it all over again.

But there's meat on these collectathon bones! There's upgraded equipment to buy that will let you dive deeper/carry more loot/swim faster. If you satisfy the townspeople' requests, they'll give you shells of gratitude... which don't really do anything, but gotta catch 'em all! There's also a rudimentary alchemy system, a shop that will build you stuff (better boats, sound stage for listening to the game music, bigger aquarium for storing fish you bring back, etc.) if you bring them blueprints and supply the proper construction items. There's a couple scuba diving contests to enter. There's an auction house. There's also a BUNCH of extra hunts to complete after finishing the main story.

Best of all, you don't even really have to mess with any of this stuff. You're welcome to turn off the HUD and just explore the ocean at your leisure, taking pictures of fish, so there's no pressure.

The game is also very streamlined with a lot of smart choices made to mitigate tedium. Hopefully Arika didn't change a lot with EO. The core model is perfect as is for what it's trying to be. I'm a little concerned about the lack of easily-accessible buttons on the Wii Remote though. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b_12.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	29851  
    Last edited by Compass; 03 Jan 2008 at 11:01 AM.

4. Compass, at this rate, you will finish 365 games this year.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    2. Everblue 2 - PS2

I got about 12 hours in a couple years ago, and really enjoyed what I played. It's a little bit like an underwater King's Field -- slow-paced, big focus on exploration, death around every corner... okay, maybe not that last one, but the Grim Reaper definitely does lurk inside a few dark nooks.

So, in anticipation of Endless Ocean later this month, I dove back in and finished the game over the past two nights.

And my, what a pleasant little adventure collect-em-up this ended up being! Gameplay is as follows: dive, explore the ocean floor/sunken ship/underwater ruin, gather up goods, surface, get them identified, sell off your extras, then back down to do it all over again.

But there's meat on these collectathon bones! There's upgraded equipment to buy that will let you dive deeper/carry more loot/swim faster. If you satisfy the townspeople' requests, they'll give you shells of gratitude... which don't really do anything, but gotta catch 'em all! There's also a rudimentary alchemy system, a shop that will build you stuff (better boats, sound stage for listening to the game music, bigger aquarium for storing fish you bring back, etc.) if you bring them blueprints and supply the proper construction items. There's a couple scuba diving contests to enter. There's an auction house. There's also a BUNCH of extra hunts to complete after finishing the main story.

Best of all, you don't even really have to mess with any of this stuff. You're welcome to turn off the HUD and just explore the ocean at your leisure, taking pictures of fish, so there's no pressure.

The game is also very streamlined with a lot of smart choices made to mitigate tedium. Hopefully Arika didn't change a lot with EO. The core model is perfect as is for what it's trying to be. I'm a little concerned about the lack of easily-accessible buttons on the Wii Remote though. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    This sequel sounds like it'd be perfect on the PS3. You ever see the show Planet Earth? It's the most beautiful show I've ever seen, and a wonderful way to show off the power of a high definition TV. This sounds like something that should show off the full power of the PS3, ashame it's going to the Wii

6. I bought Everblue years ago due to my love of Aquanauts Holiday and Treasures of the Deep.

It's still sealed, collecting dust on my shelf.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    2. Assassin's Creed

+ Holy shit he grabbed that ledge and put his foot over there that's so cool.
    + Runnin' around during chases, especially in the post-assassination bits.
    - Bland info gathering missions. I stopped doing EVERYTHING about halfway in and liked the game more from that point on.
    - Not a whole lot of stealth in the game. Maybe I missed something, but half of the key missions seemed to be forced fights.
    + The ones that do encourage stealth are pretty good.
    + So are the informant assassination mini missions.
    + The combat animation can be phenomenal at times.
    - ...which is the best thing I can say about the combat. It didn't become anywhere near genuinely satisfying until the very end of the game.
    + I liked the modern day Desmond bits.

I liked Assassin's Creed, but it's pretty easy to see reasoning behind the mixed reception. I won't consider the sequel unless its hugely different.
    playing AC is like watching a Die Hard movie, theres no real substance to anypart of what he is doing but he looks damn cool doing it.

8. Saw RE4 on super clearance, so picked it up even though I'm not the biggest Resident Evil fan. Had a slow weekend (recuperating from Holiday's with the family), the so g/f and I plowed through it in 2 days. I then did the Ada Wong story on the third.

I'm sure everyone already knows, but RE4 is a really awesome game, full of intelligent design decisions. It's like they fixed every annoying thing about the series (well, except for the voice acting/dialogue) and slapped on a hot 3D engine. I played it on Gamecube, and while at first I was like "well, it doesn't look that great, but what can you expect", after a few hours the art direction really congeals with the experience.

I also beat Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones again, working with different characters, and did Ephraim's path instead of Erika's. This game is good enough that I'm playing it on GBAPlayer instead of just on the can or something with a GBA.

I technically "beat" KoFXI and NGBC, but I'm suprised at how little fun these games are. I should have just got VF5 instead.

9. First completed game of '08... Beautiful Katamari! I'd been stuck on the final stage for a while, but finally beat it today after deciding to play BK on a whim.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03 Jan 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. Quote Originally Posted by Granderoho View Post
    playing AC is like watching a Die Hard movie, theres no real substance to anypart of what he is doing but he looks damn cool doing it.
    Don't you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    I technically "beat" KoFXI and NGBC, but I'm suprised at how little fun these games are. I should have just got VF5 instead.
    Don't you dare either!