Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamfall Chapters - Kickstarter, 850k Goal

1. Dreamfall Chapters - Kickstarter, 850k Goal

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey

So this game has been talked about for six years now. I was absolutely convinced that it would never see the light of day. God bless Kickstarter. Give them all of your money.

If you're unfamiliar with the series, you can find The Longest Journey and Dreamfall at Steam and GOG. The thing to know is that neither game is particularly good at typical adventure game stuff. The Longest Journey is plagued with some awful adventure game logic and the sequel is basically a visual novel. Doesn't matter! The world building and characters are second to none. It really is all about the writing. ..and the interesting cyberpunk/fantasy intersection doesn't hurt either.

Fair warning: Dreamfall ends on one hell of a cliffhanger. A Half-Life 2 Episode 2-style cliffhanger. So these last few years of watching Funcom throw their money down the MMO toilet have been pretty rough.

Which reminds me: Don't watch the video past the 3 minute mark unless you've finished Dreamfall.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	68651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	68652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	68653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	68654  

Last edited by epmode; 08 Feb 2013 at 11:29 AM.

2. I might give them 1 dollar. I didn't finish the 2nd one. Maybe I should? It was just too...basic. And added some lame things

3. I was never a particularly big fan of this series for the reasons epmode mentioned, but I find myself very drawn to this. The combination of ambitious 3D production values and point and click adventure gameplay make me happy in all the ways the clunky combat and simple puzzles of Dreamfall made me sad. I always liked the story and atmosphere of these games (well, in fairness, I never finished the first game. Not even half, in fact), so this seems like a potentially pretty excellent game.

Off to a hell of a start. Like $150,000 in 6 hours and picking up steam.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I might give them 1 dollar. I didn't finish the 2nd one. Maybe I should? It was just too...basic. And added some lame things
    Yeah, that was when adventure games were trying to not be adventure games in the hopes that more people would play them. They didn't.

This is why Kickstarter is great. Now they get to make it with real adventure gameplay and not have to work about if money men say the characters need to hit people.

5. !!! The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are two of my favorite games ever. I don't really get excited for games anymore, but this is awesome.

6. I think I played through LG and if I remember right, I played Dreamfall on 360 which broke right after I finished the game. I don't remember much from Dreamfall for some reason, but I liked it enough to finish it. Does this series really have a big fanbase? Seemed pretty niche when it came out.

7. It has us. That's what's important.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Does this series really have a big fanbase? Seemed pretty niche when it came out.
    Among adventure game fans, it's pretty huge. Granted the adventure game audience itself is a niche, but obviously Tim Schafer proved it's a pretty big niche in terms of Kickstarter.

This is having the biggest first day we've seen since Project Eternity and it's only half over. It's going to do pretty well.

9. Red thread posted some very rough footage of the prototype

Even in its choppy current form, this got me pretty excited. One of the main reasons adventure games declined was because they were (and are) really stuck in 2D. Even when they've added direct character control in games like Tales of Monkey Island or Heavy Rain, there are still fixed camera angles and very confined sets that are carry-overs from the 90s point and click days.

So I'm happy to see someone make something that looks and feels like a modern 3D game, but still stays true to adventure-game fundamentals. While I still love old-school adventure games, I'd really love to see someone pull the genre out of the nostalgia niche and make it relevant again. I'm also very eager to see what Tex Murphy does with its interface, although I know the campy FMV B-movie style will probably keep that game from ever being truly mainstream.