Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jpop... whats good?

1. Jpop... whats good?

I know this doesn't have all that much to do with anime, but I thought this might be the best place to put this. If a mod feels the need, move this to the music thread. I've already picked up some of the best Japanese film has to offer, and seeing as I have been a fan of anime for several years now, and film, I have had a growing interest in the music of these two mediums. As I will be going to Japan, I may see about finding some good Jpop and Japanese music in general. Better yet, if anyone could point me in the direction of a good website to buy Japanese cd's at a good price, that would be great. All the placed I have found are extremely overpriced and I don'f exactly know what I should be looking for.

2. Ok, well there isn't a lot of great J-pop, but there is some to find. I'll give you a rundown here of some of my personal favorite Japanese Music.

Yui - Japanese pop/rock star. She's a rarity for J-pop stars in the fact that she's actually very talented. She's excellent at the guitar and writes most of her own music. My top recommendation.

Shakalabbits - J-punk/ska band. My students turned me on to this group. Very fun music.

Jin - Another J-punk band I was turned on to by my students, I haven't listened to them a lot yet but they're fairly similar to Shakalabbits, but a bit heavier.

M-flo - Japanese hip hop band which is IMO one of the best hip hop bands I've ever heard. Better then anything anywhere else in the world. These two guys are incredibly talented, and their music style varies so much it's amazing sometimes. Also they are 100% fluent in English and it's absolutely mindblowing to hear them switch back and forth between English/Japanese midsentences. And on top of that they even rhyme Japanese with English.

175r - J-pop/punk. Similar in style to US pop/punk music. Nothing deep, just some fun fluff with funny lyrics most of their time.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Their newer stuff is pretty poppy, but their older stuff is more punk. I highly recommend checking out some of their older stuff.

Eastern Youth - Not a very popular band in Japan, they're known but not huge. Great pure punk music. Their CD's have been released in the US.

The Pillows - Another band which has a small following in Japan but is quite good. You might be familiar with them as they did the music for FLCL. Often called the Japanese Pixies, which is about the best description for them.

go!go!7188 - J-rock/punk. Really really good stuff. I don't really have much to say to describe em... just that they're great.

GUITAR WOLF - nothing more needs to be said.

HY - Decent J-pop/rock band. Have a little bit of a reggae twist to some of their songs.

Remioromen - Similar to HY, J-pop/rock band. Have a few songs that are insanely famous over here, including Konayuki, which I've found to be a song that if you can sing it at Karaoke it 100% guarantees you will get laid.

The Blue Hearts - J-Punk. Really really good punk, along the lines of oldschool punk like the Ramones and Iggy Pop. They're the ones that originally did the song Linda Linda.

Mr. Children - The Japanese Rolling Stones, they've been around fucking forever. Decent J-rock.

Orange Range - J-rap/rock. Not too shabby, pretty damned popular as well.

And I think that covers most of my recommendations. Some I didn't write alot for but that doesn't mean they aren't really good, I just suck at writing about music.

As for buying Japanese CD's... you don't. The Japanese CD industry has a fucking stranglehold on the consumer here who doesn't perceive of anything being of value if it's not expensive. Due to that CD's usually start at around $20 and go up from there. Everyone I know just rents cds then copies them to their hard drive, almost no one actually buys that shit.

If you want any of the bands I mentioned I can upload them to the usual places.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. I love everything by Capsule. The recent stuff is really dance-y electronic vocoder stuff. Here's one of my favorite tracks:

If you happen to like that, search for anything produced by Nakata Yasutaka and it'll all sound the same.

4. Upload them Bbobb, I'd like to give them a shot.

Also Two-Mix was a long time favorite of mine, they did the music for Gundam Wing which is what turned me onto them.

Yui did Rolling Star and Life for Bleach openings, two of my favorite songs I <3 Yui.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    If you want any of the bands I mentioned I can upload them to the usual places.
    Please do. The only thing I have that you listed is The Pillows and Guitar Wolf. I really want to check out M-flo, Yui, Shakalabbits & go!go!7188.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

6. Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    Please do. The only thing I have that you listed is The Pillows and Guitar Wolf. I really want to check out M-flo, Yui, Shakalabbits & go!go!7188.
    Agreed. Also, where is the usual place?

7. Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

8. Asian Kung Fu Generation did a couple of Anime openings: Haruka Kanata - Naruto; Rewrite - Full Metal Alchemist.

I would also recommend Abingdon Boys School. They are J-rock/pop. The lead singer is T.M. Revolution. He sang one of the intros songs for Gundam Seed - Invoke. The group did the first opening for Darker than Black - Howling. I personally recommend Nervous Breakdown. They performed during Live Earth: Japan. I dig T.M.R.'s voice and think it flows well over the rock sound.

Also check out Move - J-rock/pop/slight rap. They have two lead singers; a female with a soft voice and a male who does rapping sequences. They have done a variety of anime songs:
    Initial D - Rage My Dream and Dogfight
    Ikkitousen - Drive into the night

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Solid J-rock band. Been around for years. They actually came to perform at Otakon in '05 I believe. They sang an opening song for GTO [Great Teacher Onizuka] - Driver's High.

X Japan - J-rock. Absolutely love this band.

Eh, drawing a blank now at the end of my work day. Give those a shot along with bbobb's recommendations. If I think of others, I'll let you know.

Sorry about the broken paragraph/thought format. Things would just pop up in my mind as I was typing this.

9. I shamelessly love m-flo.

The Pillows - Another band which has a small following in Japan but is quite good. You might be familiar with them as they did the music for FLCL. Often called the Japanese Pixies, which is about the best description for them.
    Never thought of them that way. Pretty weird way to put it, given what I've heard of them. Which isn't a whole lot.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I shamelessly love m-flo.
    The guys in m-flo are mindblowingly talented. Every friend of mine I make listen to em can't believe there's Japanese Hip Hop that good.
    Last edited by bbobb; 04 Jan 2008 at 10:06 PM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.