Page 1426 of 1426 FirstFirst ... 14121422142414251426
Results 14,251 to 14,255 of 14255

Thread: Election Thread 2008 MAKE SURE YOU VOTE

1. If you like to see a well-spoken alternative view into the right/conservatives/etc, this is pretty neat (and long - 47 minutes!)

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/24942
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. I can only make it 2 minutes in and I had to turn it off. Saying liberals hate america is enough to make me immediately decide he's full of shit and turn it off.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Maybe I messed up the order of his talk, but I know he goes into the difference between "Modern Liberal" or "liberal with a capital L" and "classical liberals" like Martin Luther King and JFK.

That a Modern Liberal has a philosophy of the inability to make judgments. That all things are equal and that the pursuit of "right" is wrong because if no one believed in a "right" no one would argue or fight for their side. Leading to that, then, any judgment, no matter along what values or amount of critical thinking and analysis, is wrong. Why? Because it's discrimination.

To value one thing over another, no matter the criteria, is discrimination and wrong.

With that core, then, it's the job to elevate "wrong" because it really isn't and deconstruct "right" because it isn't. Only when all values, principles, beliefs, and moral leanings are dismantled and/or brought to a level playing field will all humanity see peace and utopia.

I mean that's just the beginning of it. I know the guy starts off pretty hard. But I think his speech is likened to an essay - make your thesis first, be strong and overconfident on it, then break it down to specifics.

At the end too, there's even questions of "well, a Democrat wants what's best and good for people too - so how could you think their way of thought is wrong?"

The way I see it though is, even when I don't like a guy's position, if he's gonna speak concisely and apply critical thought to a situation, then it's worth a listen. At least then I as an individual can either see the opposing side as having a point and change my mind accordingly, or look/counter with information or critical thought that can strengthen my argument.

4. I tried listening more and it continues with the same horseshit spiel. Liberals hate America, Liberal's Hate Israel and Love Palestine, Liberals back terrorists, that shit just kept coming. I can't listen to that bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    That a Modern Liberal has a philosophy of the inability to make judgments. That all things are equal and that the pursuit of "right" is wrong because if no one believed in a "right" no one would argue or fight for their side. Leading to that, then, any judgment, no matter along what values or amount of critical thinking and analysis, is wrong. Why? Because it's discrimination.
    See this is just retarded and not even remotely true. His whole spiel as much as I could hear, is America is right and no other viewpoints should be considered. That's not "right" it's just bullheaded idiocy. Take time to try to think about where the other side is coming from isn't a bad thing, and this absolute inability to do that is what is wrong with America's Right now.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. It does seem bullheaded to think America is good and right and never wrong. Personally, it seems more like America gives us the foundational tools for the pursuit of a "good" through the Constitution, Federalist Papers, and documents and philosophies documented from the founding fathers. Within that scope America as an unrealized potential can be good.

There's a part where he points out that some people see the history of humanity as a list of atrocities committed in the name of good and righteousness, and with that blood on our hands, should pursue no ideal good because in doing so we only do wrong. Later there's a bit referring back to it, but making the claim that while bad things happen in the pursuit of good and truth, that doesn't make the pursuit worthless. However with freedom and the pursuit of an ideal concept (Happiness), problems are bound to happen. That doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying.

Humanity is its most innovative, invigorating, and inspiring when we attempt to apply critical thinking, analysis, hard work, dedication, and application of skills to moving towards a world filled with innovation and awe. Regardless of whether it is in our lifetime, those of our children, or hundreds of years from now, the effort is still worthwhile. The US started as a country of the principle of freedom to pursue this, not the guarantee of it. That with freedom comes the awesome accountability associated with one's actions.

At least that's how I feel and so I glean out bits of that in his talk but I'm betting if he's already rubbing someone the wrong way, they're not going to read it as such. Perhaps I should watch it again or not project my own warm-fuzzies onto others?