Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forgotten Disney Feature Animations Thread

1. The Forgotten Disney Feature Animations Thread

So yeah everyone knows all about Aladdin, Lion King, and Sleeping Beauty and loves the fuck out of them. This thread is not for them, this thread is for some of the great movies that time has forgotten from this prolific studio.

I'm going to kick it off with The Great Mouse Detective, which really should have gone by the original title they wanted for it of Basil of Baker Street. Really well done movie, good voice acting, good animation. I think it just suffered from how cheap Eisner and Katzenburg (spelling) wanted the movie done for. This was definitely from a period of lessened production values over at Disney. I think if it was given the right budget and enough time it could have ended up as one of the greats every one remembers.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. The animated bits from Song of the South are my all time favorite. The animation is so good.

3. I really dig The Great Mouse Detective. Wonderful take on the Sherlock Holmes mythos.

More recently, Teacher's Pet is actually a really interesting watch, if for no other reason than getting fully animated Gary Baseman paintings running around. Nathan Lane's voice gets really grating really fast, but the look of the movie is completely unique.

The Black Cauldron has this reputation as being a 'lost classic', unfortunately it's a bit undeserved. There's quite a bit of really nice moments of character animation, but the movie looks very muddy and doesn't really have any kind of coherent story. The production history is really pretty interesting on it, though. First use of CGI in a Disney flick, too. There are reports that the director was literally going senile throughout the production. O__O

4. Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi and Dumbo are my favorites, but I don't think those quite qualify as "lost" Disney classics. Their 80s and 90s stuff is way overrated thanks to our generation's childhood nostalgia, though.

I think Saludos Amigos, and Three Caballeros are underappreciated.

5. Robin Hood is really rad, but I wouldn't call it "lost". Best opening titles on a Disney flick, though.

Three Caballeros is pretty neat. Did that get a DVD release?

6. Yeah for like a week. You know how Disney is.

7. Their goddamn "Vault" has driven me to eBay or piracy several times.

8. Sad but true.

9. Hah! That's the best TV Funhouse sketch I've ever seen.