Thread: Another awesome PC problem!

1. Another awesome PC problem!

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it bears explanation:

So I get home from work yesterday and turn my PC on. It wouldn't go past the motherboard's bootup screen. I tried again, same thing. I reset the CMOS, this time I got a bad checksum reading, which I was hoping for, so I could try and reset the BIOS settings. It starts slogging through to the BIOS screen. It literally took a minute to finish the transition to the menu screen.

Okay, I thought, I have a motherboard issue. The problem persisted. Then, for reasons I can't explain, I decided to unplug the Zune I had in my keyboard's USB port, which I had just placed there earlier that day. Instantly, everything decided to run smoothly again. I reset the BIOS settings and booted to Windows.

I used my hardware monitor to check on everything, and it showed my hard drive at 100% capacity, which it definitely wasn't. I rebooted and checked my post, and for some reason it was reading my HDD as an "External IDE storage device" which is odd since it's SATA. After that, I couldn't boot to windows anymore. The little loading bar for Vista would scroll over once, instant BSOD, autorestart, rinse, repeat.

I loaded BIOS failsafes, no luck. Windows repair, it tells me it can't communicate with the needed hardware.

This to me seems like either a dead HDD, or a fucked up mobo that's going nuts. Any thoughts?

2. before assuming the hardware is chum i would try and repair the OS and chkdsk that hdd. if it's still fucked, pull that cmos batterey and unplug the system over night. sometimes the mobo's don't discharge in the normal amount of time. after all that, then assume it's hardware.

3. I let it sit cold for 6 hours or so, but I would still run into the same problem. I opened it up and switched the SATA socket that my HDD was plugged into, hoping maybe just one socket had gone bad. I had better results this time around, it would get to the Windows login screen before I got an instant BSOD, but this time with error codes.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT showed up more often than not, but sometimes I'd get BAD_POOL_DATA and sometimes a message telling me that Windows had attempted to write to a drive that was read-only.

4. Isolate your mem and flash your bios. What kind of MB is it? Check the MB manufactures website forum and see if there are any similar problems.

5. I switched memory channels, reformatted, installed XP and then let the CMOS battery out for a little while.

After a few hiccups, I'm up and running with 2 existing problems:

1. My windows profile settings are reset every time I restart or reboot. It tells me it couldn't load local profiles. This means my desktop wallpaper, security settings, display settings etc.

2. It reads my HDD as 120gb, it's a 500gb drive and is read as much in the BIOS screen.

Haven't flashed my BIOS yet but upgrading it a week before this problem arose can't be a coincidence. Maybe I'll flash it back.

6. Is your comp on a domain?

7. Try another hd on the same channel as the existing one. If the problem does not persist you have a bad mobo most likely.

8. Quote Originally Posted by nameless_one View Post
    Try another hd on the same channel as the existing one. If the problem does not persist you have a bad mobo most likely.
    Wouldn't it mean it was a bad HDD if the problem does not persist? Or did you mistakenly put "not" in there?

9. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    I switched memory channels, reformatted, installed XP and then let the CMOS battery out for a little while.

After a few hiccups, I'm up and running with 2 existing problems:

1. My windows profile settings are reset every time I restart or reboot. It tells me it couldn't load local profiles. This means my desktop wallpaper, security settings, display settings etc.

2. It reads my HDD as 120gb, it's a 500gb drive and is read as much in the BIOS screen.

Haven't flashed my BIOS yet but upgrading it a week before this problem arose can't be a coincidence. Maybe I'll flash it back.
    Roll that shit back. And then find an benchmark tool that can test memory and your HDD.

I recommend these tools

Memory Test

Here's a good page to look for utilities based on the drive manufacturer
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

10. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Wouldn't it mean it was a bad HDD if the problem does not persist? Or did you mistakenly put "not" in there?
    Mistakenly.