Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logo work for Savannah Bar/Venue

1. Logo work for Savannah Bar/Venue

Obviously we are going with The Distillery as the name. Savannah has a rich history and this building was an actual distillery during the 1800s. It was one of the only ones that remained functional during the prohibition because it distilled "medicinal whiskey". Here is some logo art I've been working on:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	distillery.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	30009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dISTILLERYLOGO copy.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	30010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chubbardbusinesscard copy.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	30011  

2. I like the first one and the business card. The Guitar one just doesn't do it for me though.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. I'm having trouble incorporating the live music/historical distillery into a single image.

4. Yeah, that's kind of tough. Maybe replace the circle text on the first image with something about live music.

That or see what one of our TNL artists can come up with. I'll bet they'll have some good ideas.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Good idea! Any catchy ideas for what I can make the first one say? Also - thank you Josh, I would never be able to use photoshop like this if it weren't for you. That includes pirating the program.

6. I actually like "Medicinal Spirits" from the card a lot. I'd put that on the top half circle. Then maybe "Quality Live Music" or something along that line on the bottom half circle.

7. I really like how the first one has sort of a Converse sneaker logo look to it.

8. The first one is actually really great. I'm not sure about the colour purple, but the actual composition looks very 40's industrial. The texture on top of that and the chosen font makes it pop quite well. I would continue that rough feeling on your business card. As for the live music it really sounds like you're trying to cram too much information out of a solitary logo. You CAN do it, but in the end you're probably going to water down the overall aesthetic style you have going on. Plus you can be pretty crazy with rock themes and get away with it (which is why rock bands are usually fun to design for).

The business card has a nice idea going for it but it really needs to be pushed further. The crest could be modernized a lot more, and a crest may be a good way for you to sneak in the rock and medicinal spirits theme (medicinal spirits is a rad piece of copy, pretty unique)

For a restaurant, and I've only done 1 pub and 1 restaurant in my short career, the logo really needs to be backed up by the entire experience of the place. So basically an entire corporate identity and attitude should be built around the logo. If you're going to go with a music / old school industrial feel the building facade and business card should reflect that. So for the crest I would look at some really old school crests on books.

http://www.oneclub.org/oc/store/?p=35 <-- here's a great example of a book with a modernized crest. They've taken an elaborate pattern and basically made it entirely in one colour. It might be a good solution, since crests and patterns can be a great way to convey a lot of information.

I hope I'm not confusing you. Anyway the distillery look you have going in image #1 is really great. Stick with messy. Also lose the fake parchment. If you want a parchment look I would actually get a canvas parchment and scan it. The border looks kind of cheesy too so maybe just bleed the texture right off the entire business card and use it as your base. Anyway it's up to you. Hopefully something I've said will get the creative juices flowing. I'm consciously trying to not post so much on TNL anymore but I couldn't resist commenting on that cool logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. These are all great ideas thank you. Actually Andrew this place is going to be sick inside. The owner is a builder by trade so he is going to make the inside of this place look like a bar General Sherman would have set fire to. Black copper ceilings, these fans, tons of rot-iron railing and edgework, thick stained wood and old brick. Some of the bar designs he showed me turned my brain into shit. I'll keep tnl updated as we go. It will be really cool to document this project.

10. I'll work on the crest logo some more and see what it looks like with less going on. Maybe more sepia toned?