Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Retconning

1. Spider-Man Retconning

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/S...StatusQuo.html
    For as it stands now.

http://www.comicsonline.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0
    For info in general.

I don't follow comics much, but holy shit is this sillier than usual. "Hey, guys! Let's undo everything this character's done in the past few years and start over."

2. I don't think Aunt May would approve.

3. One more day was a fucking travesty. This new Spiderman is shit.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. How's "Ultimate" these days? I dropped it just after the "Deadpool" arc. The super-crappy Deadpool arc.

5. Ultimate is excellent. It's the only spiderman worth following right now.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. I'll check it out once a few more trades hit. Those tend to be really fast.

7. so basically they're admitting they wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't do angsty spidey anymore?
    Bascially, spidey stories require him to have a private non-spider life, becoming the posterboy for the fed registration program = no more of that. Meaning they'd either need to reinvent spiderman as another kind of hero (hulk like, constantly on the run struggling with his own demons always), kill and res him or have some kinda retcon. C, and they took the easy way out.

8. What's really ridiculous is they're saying everything still happened, the whole world's just remembering it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

9. Writer 1: Didn't Spider-Man unmask himself all over the news and everyone got all pissed about it? How could people just forget?

Writer 2: Shut up, faggot.

10. http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=141756

Thursday morning, Newsarama received an unsolicited e-mail from Straczynski, in which, he wrote:

Having seen Joe's third interview on OMD, I think he raised a lot of fair issues. I think most of it represents accurately our conversations. It does, however, omit some of the main concerns I had with the resolution...concerns not mentioned therein, most probably as an oversight. As you know from my prior email, I was content not to respond to the prior interviews because I don't need to have the last word. (Newsarama Note: this last was in reference to Straczynski’s earlier e-mail mentioned earlier in which he declined a “One More Day” post mortem conversation.)

But there are some vital omissions in the interview, including the primary reason I finally threw up my hands on the book, which had mainly to do with how the resolution was handled.

To explain, here's the conversation I had with Marvel, in sum:

"So what does Mephisto do?" I ask.

"He makes everybody forget Peter's Spider-Man."

"Uh, huh. So Aunt May's still in the hospital --"

"No, he saves Aunt May."

"But if all he does is save her life and make everybody forget he's Spidey, she still has a scar on her midsection."

"No, he makes that go away too."

"Okay...:

"Then he wakes up in her house."

"The house that was burned down?"

"Right."

"But how --"

"Mephisto undoes that as well."

"Okay. And the guys who shot at Peter and May and were killed, they're alive too? Mephisto can bring guys back from the dead?"

"It's all part of the spell."

"And Doc Strange can't tell?"

"No,"

"And the newspaper articles? News footage?"

"Joe, it's been forgotten."

"I'm just asking is that stuff there or not there?"

"Not there. And Peter's web shooters are back."

"Is this the same spell or a different spell?"

"Same spell."

"How does making people forget he's Spidey bring back his web shooters?"

"It's magic, okay?"

"I see. And Harry's back."

"Right."

"And Mephisto does this too."

"Yep."

"So is Harry back from the dead, or has he been alive? If they ask him, hey Harry, what did you do last summer, will he remember? And the year before? And the year before? If he says they all went on a picnic two years ago, will they remember it?"

"It's --"

"Because if he now has a life he remembers, if he's not back from the dead, then you've changed the continuity you said you didn't want to change. Those are your only options: he was brought back from the dead, and there's a grave, and people remember him dying --"

"Mephisto changes THEIR memories too."

"-- or he's effectively been alive as far as our characters know, so he's been alive all along, so either way as far as our characters are concerned, continuity's been violated going back to 1971.

How do you explain that?"

"It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

And that's the part I had a real problem with, maybe the single biggest problem. There's this notion that magic fixes everything. It doesn't. "It's magic, we don't have to explain it." Well, actually, yes, you do. Magic has to have rules. And this is clearly not just a case of one spell making everybody forget he's Spidey...suddenly you're bringing back the dead, undoing wounds, erasing records, reinstating web shooters, on and on and on.

What I wanted to do was to make one small change to history, a tiny thing, whose ripples we could control to only touch what editorial wanted to touch, making changes we could explain logically. I worked for weeks to come up with a timeline that would leave every other bit of continuity in place. It was rigorous, and as logical as I could make it. In the end of OMD as published, Harry is alive and he's always been alive as far as the characters know...so how is that different than he was alive the whole time?

It made no sense to me.