Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

1. Because he uses lots of interesting lenses and techniques and still tends to prioritize practical effects, making movies which may be otherwise weak still fun to watch. The Harry Potter series has a ridiculously bland sense of style (it's like a Shounen Jump manga for western audiences), so having most of this series directed in such a standard way really emphasized all the stuff I didn't like about it in the first place.

Making movies which travel back and forth between fantasy and reality is pretty much Gilliam's specialty, so giving him control of a guaranteed money-maker like this would've been great both for the series and for Gilliam's other projects (even though he did go on to state he would've hated the studio's control). He was also the author's first choice, but instead the initial movies got a different director and ended up as throwaway as stuff like Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

[edit] I just looked up Percy Jackson to see who directed it and it was Chris Columbus, same guy who did the first two Potter films. I guess there must be something recognizable about his summer blockbuster throwaways.
    Last edited by MechDeus; 15 Jul 2011 at 05:44 PM.

2. I'd like it if Gilliam could just finish a fucking movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. To be fair, Jean Rochefort's spinal surgery and Heath Ledger overdosing weren't really in his control. But at least he managed to finish one of those!

If you haven't seen it before (this is old footage), here's what I believe his current project is:

I can't possibly imagine this will make much money, but it'll be fantastic to watch.

4. Gilliam lost a lot of luster for me after Brothers Grimm, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. I just watched it. I like how it picked up right at the end of the last one. Very little in the way of opening credits either, just Deathly Hallows 2, and bam, back into it. Some scenes were very hard on the eyes, I don't know, maybe the projector was having problems but When Harry is "dead" and talking to Dumbledore in Kings Cross Station it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too white and I could see the flickering of the framerate.

I didn't have a problem with the end scene and it's make up either. I think they did a pretty good job.

6. I feel the same as old yellar concerning bros grimm. I watch that movie every now and again and try to pretend it holds up to his usual high standard. It doesn't.

7. I saw Brothers Grimm once and thought it was boring. Never watched it again and don't really care to. I also thought Fear & Loathing was just way too much of itself, there was so much aimless wandering (yes, I realize that was part of the point) that it couldn't hold my attention. Still, the occasional dull spot doesn't stop me from enjoying most of his films for at least their artistic merit.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    I didn't have a problem with the end scene and it's make up either. I think they did a pretty good job.
    It was re-shot too. The first go around with all make up was supposedly really embarrassing. I'm going in a few days to see it, pretty psyched.

9. It was a good movie and a fitting end to the series. The makeup at the end was iffy, but they did a good job on Harry at least.

watched it. Fuck that ending. What a flat simple ending for such a long movie series.