Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working on graphics for video

1. Cleaner lines on the logo possibly? It looks like it's been photocopied several times, which is going to look like the exit end of a dog once it's run through a projector.

2. Try not to place dark text on top of such a dark background.

Anyway, my video graphics tip would be to keep your colors NTSC safe, keep your color's RGB values between 16 to 235. You can create a levels adjustment layer and alter the output values to be ntsc safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rough Draft 3 copy.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	30220  

3. I thought about a color adjustment like that but since those are the school's colors it's probably better to find a different way than changing the whole picture. One compromise might be to have a spotlight effect on the words on the left side, which could maintain the proper colors while making the writing easier to read.

4. I was reading up about NTSC colors last night before going to bed and was going to adjust it today. I've rotated the logo back to normal, but i may see if i can find a better version of it as I just grabbed it off of google last night. And actually, the project is most likely gonna be viewed on TV/monitor and put online. I'm working on another paid project right now, but I may tinker with the graphic later.

5. Photoshop, especially the newer versions (I have CS3) come packed with all sorts of wacky effects and filters. That (combined with whatever effects your editing programs has) should serve you well, especially if you're innovative and fuck around with various combos and ideas.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. OK, so I set the red and gold colors between and 235, so I think I am good on that front, and the logo is no longer tilted. In these next rough drafts, the font is Marker Felt. Oh and I also redid the brush stroke background a bit. I experimented with a few different filters that I though helped make the logo a bit better as well as the font. I am also not sure if Belmont is going to remain in the title. I guess some are a little similar, but even the slightest difference can often make a difference.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

I'm also gonna throw these in a quick video and throw it on dvd or MiniDV to see how it looks on the big screen.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 17 Apr 2008 at 01:38 AM.

7. I hope your settings are set correctly. For monitors you use square pixels. For video you, as you probably already know, use rectangular.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 18 Jan 2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I hope your settings are set correctly. For monitors you use rectangular pixels. For video you, as you probably already know, use rectangular.
    Pixel Aspect Ratio is set to D1/DV NTSC. I think thats what I need it set to. Again, I don't have much experience with doing graphics for video.

EDIT: The images look fine when displayed on TV. I do need to get the color better as it appears brighter on than TV than it does on my laptops. I also need to add some depth to it, as the text looks a little too flat against the background.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 18 Jan 2008 at 08:14 PM.

9. That aspect ratio should be correct.

For the colour you probably need to adjust your working mode to match your TV's output. Of course every display will be different no matter how much shit you tweak or how careful you are.

I would tell you to reference other motion graphic work that's good quality and adjust your work using the principles common to each. I don't have that much experience with video (I did some when I interned and know After Effects, but I'm not confident with it like I am Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop or Painter). What is Writer's Night at the Row? I mean how do the organizers of the event treat it? Is it casual, or dress-up? How will your video be displayed? You need to know the usage of your project. It's key to troubleshooting any issues that you may otherwise not realize are even issues until it's too late.

That's one thing I've learned from doing client environmental and store display designs. Research of usage is EXTREMELY important. For the most part it's just looking around at the space, measuring properly, and playing devil's advocate trying to find stupid shit that could be problematic. For store windows and signage it's all about visibility and standing out from competition. For video your typography will probably best serve you by blending in with the style, mood and theme of the evening. Judging from your graphic I would assume it's kind of a midway point between casual and formal and pretty experimental / indy.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 18 Jan 2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    That aspect ratio should be correct.

For the colour you probably need to adjust your working mode to match your TV's output. Of course every display will be different no matter how much shit you tweak or how careful you are.

I would tell you to reference other motion graphic work that's good quality and adjust your work using the principles common to each. I don't have that much experience with video (I did some when I interned and know After Effects, but I'm not confident with it like I am Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop or Painter). What is Writer's Night at the Row? I mean how do the organizers of the event treat it? Is it casual, or dress-up? How will your video be displayed? You need to know the usage of your project. It's key to troubleshooting any issues that you may otherwise not realize are even issues until it's too late.

That's one thing I've learned from doing client environmental and store display designs. Research of usage is EXTREMELY important. For the most part it's just looking around at the space, measuring properly, and playing devil's advocate trying to find stupid shit that could be problematic. For store windows and signage it's all about visibility and standing out from competition. For video your typography will probably best serve you by blending in with the style, mood and theme of the evening. Judging from your graphic I would assume it's kind of a midway point between casual and formal and pretty experimental / indy.
    It's pretty much an event for any student to come and see 3 students/groups who write there own music. It's a pretty big event on campus, but it has no TV or web presence. I have a little time to work on this graphic. The main thing is just going back and forth between the people who are in charge of this stuff.

EDIT: A couple of new ones.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 17 Apr 2008 at 01:39 AM.