Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working on graphics for video

1. The bevel/emboss job you did on the last post is cheesy. Get rid of that. I don't like the readability and typography of what you're doing either.

Think about it this way: what do you like to see at the opening of a movie? Usually if the artists over-do it or put too many effects in, it looks shitty and dated. It's often just the title thrown on the center of the screen in a basic font. It's almost always simple, and it uses either a white/black color background or the video itself is the background.

Here's a totally standard opening with the totally standard Helvetica bold title. It's not good at all, the typography doesn't match the setting (but you really need to drop that comic serif font you're using now), and it looks too much like a horror logo, but I threw it together to maybe open your mind more to what should be presented at the beginning of any video. I think what you're making would look good in a yearbook, but it won't translate well at all to the screen. You may be constraining yourself a bit much by trying to stick to the school colors, and you're in danger of over-doing the Photoshop filters.

I may be completely off on what's required here, so ignore most or all of this if it's not applicable. You know more about video than I do, I just do MIDI.

Tommy Tallarico
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lolhelvetica.gif 
Views:	206 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	30339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foundertommy.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	30340  
    Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; 20 Jan 2008 at 04:24 AM.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

2. I agree with Mr. Tallarico completely, both due to my respect for his contributions to life in general and his good design taste. Also, because that mock-up he did reminds me of the Director's Series DVDs.

Many times, simplicity and subtlety is the solution to any design problem. Overusing silly Photoshop filters is practically SCREAMING "hey, I just started using Photoshop! Isn't this cool?" Try using one, large font family so you have plenty of options. Helvetica is good for it, though I usually go with Futura. Vary the fonts within the family. Quick examples, keeping in mind I'm no expert... yet. (also, I did my work in Illustrator and quick-exported to JPEG, so the gradients look silly)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belmont_futura.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	30341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belmont_helvneue.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	30342  
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 20 Jan 2008 at 05:05 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tallarico View Post
    The bevel/emboss job you did on the last post is cheesy. Get rid of that. I don't like the readability and typography of what you're doing either.

Think about it this way: what do you like to see at the opening of a movie? Usually if the artists over-do it or put too many effects in, it looks shitty and dated. It's often just the title thrown on the center of the screen in a basic font. It's almost always simple, and it uses either a white/black color background or the video itself is the background.

Here's a totally standard opening with the totally standard Helvetica bold title. It's not good at all, the typography doesn't match the setting (but you really need to drop that comic serif font you're using now), and it looks too much like a horror logo, but I threw it together to maybe open your mind more to what should be presented at the beginning of any video. I think what you're making would look good in a yearbook, but it won't translate well at all to the screen. You may be constraining yourself a bit much by trying to stick to the school colors, and you're in danger of over-doing the Photoshop filters.

I may be completely off on what's required here, so ignore most or all of this if it's not applicable. You know more about video than I do, I just do MIDI.

Tommy Tallarico
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    I agree with Mr. Tallarico completely, both due to my respect for his contributions to life in general and his good design taste. Also, because that mock-up he did reminds me of the Director's Series DVDs.

Many times, simplicity and subtlety is the solution to any design problem. Overusing silly Photoshop filters is practically SCREAMING "hey, I just started using Photoshop! Isn't this cool?" Try using one, large font family so you have plenty of options. Helvetica is good for it, though I usually go with Futura. Vary the fonts within the family. Quick examples, keeping in mind I'm no expert... yet. (also, I did my work in Illustrator and quick-exported to JPEG, so the gradients look silly)
    Sound advice.I am relatively new to photoshop, at least getting into the meat of what it can do, and am even more a noob when it comes to graphic design. The professor in charge of the project really has no idea what he wants for the graphics and just said go with it. I'll work on a more simple design. I like what Tommy did with the top but just change the colors and tweak it a bit. Thanks.

4. I'm not sure where I put it, but somewhere I have a picture with Tommy Tallarico wearing that same shirt at that same venue.

5. Something a little more simple, but I dunno. I've never really had a knack for graphic stuff, so I may just leave it up to someone in the class that can handle that artistic side of it and stick to editing/filming.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 17 Apr 2008 at 01:39 AM.

6. The idea is sound (though, centering everything is something you grow to hate as a designer. Hahah), but you need to expand that text more. For that kind of institutional, iconic feeling, I'd think ALL CAPS. Stretch the Belmont across the top by using a thinner font and giving more space between the letters. It's lookin' a LOT better, though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    The idea is sound (though, centering everything is something you grow to hate as a designer. Hahah), but you need to expand that text more. For that kind of institutional, iconic feeling, I'd think ALL CAPS. Stretch the Belmont across the top by using a thinner font and giving more space between the letters. It's lookin' a LOT better, though.
    Will do. The text right now is really just a place holder until I find out what they really want. As far as that design goes right there, should the logo stay as is, or should it be tilted, larger, smaller, etc?

Tommy and Chao said everything I was going to say.

Just because Photoshop has stock filters doesn't mean you have to use them.