Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sega Saturn Question

1. A Sega Saturn Question

I've owned a Saturn for many years. Bought one mainly for Japanese imports, so when I bought it I had a mod chip installed. I have many games for the Saturn and I've never tried playing a burned game on it before, until recently. Since I never tried a burn game I dove into my collection to try to copy a game to see if it would work and it didn't. Anyone have any ideas on why it wouldn't work? I tried a Japanese game right after and that still works telling me that the mod chip is still working. Is there a proper way to burn Saturn games that is different from PSX games?

2. is it a mod chip or just a region mod in that thing? i could be wrong but they may have also made chips that were region mod only. although iirc the region mod was just bridging two points (super easy) so an actual chip would be overkill so i could be wrong.

3. Could be just a region mod... dunno to tell you the truth. The mod has a switch so i think it's just region...

4. Well, sounds to me like you just have a region mod, but thats just me without seeing a picture. Generally speaking, a mod chip isn't able to be seen once the case is put back on and will just boot imports without and special tricks. If your pressing a button or flipping a switch to go back and forth for US/JPN/PAL games then you definitely don't have a mod chip.

There are "swap tricks" for saturn backups around the net, but I really really don't suggest doing them as it puts a terrible strain on the motor drive.

If this doesn't answer your question, post a pic and maybe I can help out further

Also, PM if you want to know more about the mod chips since I don't want this thread sent down to S&B

I would guess that yours is only a region mod as well. There is a totally different mod for playing CDRs, and back when Saturn modding was popular none of the reputable places would deal with the CDR mod.

I wish that weren't the case, since at this point I likely will never play Radiant Silvergun or Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. I didn't even know there was a region mod. I always used a boot-cart (ST-Key) for playing imports. The mod for Playing Bckups is a non-solder chip. The strangest part is that the mod only works for US games. If you want to play a import CDR, you must still use an import boot cart.

7. Not strange at all. The only reason for having one is for pirating since Saturn modchips don't bypass region coding. If you want to bypass that, you need to change the region coding on the ISO using a program before burning the game or use the ST-Key like you said.

And like everyone else said, your mod is most likely just a region switch Daitokuji.

Does anyone still install saturn modchips for piracy? I want to sell my stupid rare games and play CDRs.

9. Could always use a piece of tape and some good timing.

I never liked that method.