Thread: Yoshi's Island Advance carts dying?

1. Yoshi's Island Advance carts dying?

Recently I was in the VC thread on GA reading some older pages in the thread. Somehow the discussion veered to GBA where eventually I read the following: some poster: "The battery in my Yoshi's Island advance cart died this week." Another poster: Mine too. I guess Target is in the pirate business."

I did some googling and found several other cases where folks SMBA3:YI carts had died and refused to save within a year of purchase. I was going to buy a copy this past week but am holding off, anybody else hear or experience this? I was also disappointed to hear of batteries in GBA carts, I thought they were supposed to use EEPROM. IGN profiles list GBA battery saves as normal but at least one site i visited marked batteries as instant pirate identification.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 21 Jan 2008 at 06:06 PM.

2. It depends on the game. Castlevania CotM uses a battery, I know for a fact. Some others, too. Doesn't mean that it's a pirate cart.

3. Thanks for clarifying. Anyways, I read they're easily replaceable if you get a tri wing (?) screwdriver from Play Asia.

4. Quote Originally Posted by 1CCOSA View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Anyways, I read they're easily replaceable if you get a tri wing (?) screwdriver from Play Asia.
    It is super easy to do, though I have never done it for a GBA game. For some reason back in the day, I decided to open up an SNES cart to see what it was like inside. Can't remember what game it was, I think Mario RPG, but the battery fell out. I put the battery back in, closed it up, and everything worked except my save was gone. Super easy to put back together.

5. The old GB cart batteries were soldered in, wouldn't doubt the GBA batteries are.
    Donk

Yoshi's Island uses an eeprom. The only ones that should be dying are the pirate carts.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Yoshi's Island uses an eeprom. The only ones that should be dying are the pirate carts.
    Excellent, thanks to both bVork and El Capitan for the info. I'm looking forward to eventually playing the GBA exclusive stages.