Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: AATM

1. AATM

Since there's always like six people viewing this section I figured I would try to create a thread where people would actually post. So why not talk about the crap we are all watching now. Love it, hate it, confused by it talk about it here.

I'm currently enjoying Gurren Lagann, I'm about five episodes in and it has only gotten better. Very much a super robot show, and it just goes balls to the walls with it. How can you not love a giant robot wearing giant sunglasses, with robots powered by pure guts. It's good stuff, and it jsut keeps getting more out there.

I gave Naruto a month or two to build up some episdoes before I went back to it. Just about to watch shippuuden 39, I'm hoping for a new fight to start. Enough rivalry crap, bring back Atkasuki.

2. I'm at the point now where I've been watching anime regularly for about 6 years now. Buying DVD's, going to cons, etc.

Honestly, I don't know if it's the "growing up" aspect or whatever else, but so much of today's anime is just shit. I can take a look at my shelf and see the 90's to early 2000's anime I have and say "most of that shit is pretty good." I like to think I have decent taste, and that's what's telling me that these days a good show is hard to find.

Gurren Lagann is great, it reminds me a lot of Dead Leaves. One Piece is pretty much the only shounen that I can watch these days. Bleach and Naruto have become so uninteresting.

I'm beginning to branch out and see some stuff outside my normal genres, and I'm beginning to watch movies a lot more (especially since Tekkon Kinkreet and Paprika)

Maybe I'll bum around the screening rooms more at the upcoming Katsucon.

Oh yeah, another sad state of affairs: the current fandom. Today's young anime fan is a mix of 4chan's /b/tard and obsessive compulsive gamer with anime thrown in. There's nothing wrong with being exhuberent, but sometimes it's impossible to hold a conversation with these people without it degenerating into internet memes and squirting madly for the next Square Enix release.

3. I watched through EVA over the past week, first time in about a decade. I'd actually been pretty down on it in the past years in retrospect, but it's held up pretty well, and I picked up a lot more of the subtle plot points towards the end. The Director's Cut of ep 23 (with Rei self-destructing her EVA) has waaaaaaaaay different from the original, that was neat. Looking forward to Rebuild.

Still slowly working through Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo. It's a great show but you gotta take some time off every now and then, gets exhausting seeing every fight drawn out more and more.

Fansub wise:
    Watched all of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, great humor series. The last few eps weren't nearly as good as the first ones, though, but still had some worthwhile laughs.

Started on Ookiku Fukurabutte or whatever, an oddly compelling baseball anime. The main character is an infuriating puss that makes Shinji look like Muhammed Ali, argh. But somehow the show still makes me want to keep watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Oh yeah, another sad state of affairs: the current fandom. Today's young anime fan is a mix of 4chan's /b/tard and obsessive compulsive gamer with anime thrown in. There's nothing wrong with being exhuberent, but sometimes it's impossible to hold a conversation with these people without it degenerating into internet memes and squirting madly for the next Square Enix release.
    Definitely. Not to mention their ridiculous sense of entitlement.

4. Bleach I watched, and I'll watch every now and then, but I too have fallen quite a bit out of anime. I look forward to Hellsing Ultimate, but I'm not sure that's even going on anymore. The last anime I watched was R.O.D TV which, was alright.

I do love Hikaru No Go, and actually I watched almost all 75 episodes of that again recently (There's a certain Arc that is good the first time, but you'll remember everything and there's little desire for me to watch it).

I should start watching anime movies more. I watched Steam Boy a few months ago and that was fantastic.

The last anime series I actually enjoyed was FMA.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. I'd prescribe some Gurren Lagann for your ailment.

well, I've been watching Avatar.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. Yeah but Avatar has a new episode every lunar cycle it seems. You can polish off Gurren Lagann in a weekend and come back to work Monday as a new man.

9. I can remember going to Otakon to see shit I couldn't see before. It was awesome and I'd want to go to screenings. There were days when a friend I met in an AOL chat room sent me all 52 eps and the 1st OAV of Fushigi Yuugi in the mail on VHS, it was a HUGE deal. Now I can just get all the fansubs myself, and on the off chance I do buy Anime there isn't the "do I get sub, or dub" question anymore.

The only thing I've been watching as of late is Bleach.
    Last edited by Chux; 23 Jan 2008 at 11:10 PM.

10. Definitely. Not to mention their ridiculous sense of entitlement.
    I SHOULD GET ANIME FOR FREE BECAUSE, THE JAPANESE GET IT FOR FREE./ I IS STEALING FROM DA RICH AND GIVINS IT TO THE POOR et al.