Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me pick a Samsung out for my parents.

1. you can adjust the set to get rid of the effect. Most of the complaints about the set are from when they first came out, but firmware changes have fixed most of it in the newer stock.

Also, every tv out there has some issue. There has yet to be a perfect LCD (or plasma, dlp, etc..), this is just the closest.

I keep trying to tell them to get a crt but they keep coming to me with "lcd or plasma?" and "We want one that can go on the wall!" and shit.

FOOLS.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    so SEARS now has a Samsung this week with only an 8000:1 ratio listed for $999 and my stepdad keeps asking about it. they didn't have that model (it's also a 40") in the store when we went and i figured that low a ratio was pretty bad.
    The ratios are really meaningless because they aren't standard across manufacturers. Anything relatively new from a relatively good manufacturer should have acceptable contrast unless the room is exceptionally bright (in which case, buy a plasma).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    I keep trying to tell them to get a crt but they keep coming to me with "lcd or plasma?" and "We want one that can go on the wall!" and shit.

FOOLS.
    The new tech flat panels are close enough to CRT quality. Plus CRTs can't always do 720p, and do 1080p CRTs even exist? And they are fucking humongous and heavy and guess what? Standard content is still gonna look like shit on it.

If you want to save you can probably find a cheap ass CRT HDTV on craigslist or something but I would absolutely not buy one new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    I keep trying to tell them to get a crt
    You must really hate them.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

6. thanks for all the info guys. much appreciated. so if i'm reading this listing right http://www.timewarnercable.com/Custo...ByPackage=true we have a whopping THREE HD channels in the expanded cable package and it jumps to twelve with the HDTV premuim? you've got to be kidding. i've never understood if a channel has to have the HD moniker to show HD content (i.e. ESPNHD over ESPN).
    Last edited by Dyne; 28 Jan 2008 at 08:58 AM.

If it doesn't say its HD it isn't.

Regular ESPN isn't going to show HD at 7pm then SD again at 8pm.

8. okay thanks. so i guess my channel lineup is complete shit then.

Check the OTA broadcast thing. Google has answers. I don't.

10. Rabbit ears imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!