Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

I've had Mass Effect sitting on my entertainment center, barely touched for two weeks, but I've put over 40 hours into this game during that same rough period of time. And I've already played through it twice!

This is the ultimate package for FFT fans. Everything you loved in the original is back, plus a bunch of stuff has been added. The beautiful hand-drawn animated cinemas, excellent voice acting, and a brand-new translation make the story, with its wonderful Byzantine plot complications, much easier to follow. At times the language is florid to the point of distraction, but it's a beautiful effort overall.

Several new characters have been added: Luso, the main character of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, and Balthier of Final Fantasy 12. I haven't found Balthier yet, but Luso is a great character, very similar to Ramza but with an innate Poach ability. There are also several new playable scenes with Delita that I don't remember being in the original. Nothing major, but fun nonetheless (especially since Delita was always my favorite character in FFT). There's also a bunch of multiplayer-only missions which I'll probably never see, because I don't know anybody else who's into this game. Which is a shame, because there's a bunch of exclusive equipment to be found in those missions.

There are also two new jobs: Dark Knight and Onion Knight. Dark Knight, I haven't unlocked yet, but I think it's just a clone of Gaffgarion's ability set. Onion Knight seems useless unless you find the special "Onion" equipment in the multiplayer missions. It bears mentioning that Dark Knight takes FOREVER to unlock.

The biggest problem with the game is the slowdown. It is pretty noticeable during summons and many magical effects. In fact, there's a touch of slowdown during most special ability triggers. I've gotten used to it, but some people may be less forgiving then I.

Overall, it's a necessary purchase for FFT fans. For those who never liked it, this version won't change your mind.

Anyone else playing it?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. the slowdown is noticeable, but its not destroying my enjoyment of the game.

also sleeve you should have made a review thread of this instead :x
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

3. I have it and played the first two or three missions before getting sidetracked with work.

The slowdown is annoying. I've also found myself trying to rotate the map with the analog stick to get a better view. Funny, I don't remember the battles seeming so slow paced. Waiting for stuff like the effects (due to slowdown perhaps), the CPU turns and the numerous parts of every action (select move, move to space, move, select action, choose target, attack animation, result, XP/JP, choose direction to face) seems to take awhile.

But I still <3 this game. I can't wait until I have time to build every character into a death machine.

4. I've plopped about 60 hours in to this version and I'm still in chapter 3. I've always loved level grinding in this game, except now I have a reason to do it with online play.

5. I still don't have this which is weird, because it would make the perfect level grinding game for while I watch anime.

Maybe I'll pick it up tonight.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    ...and the numerous parts of every action (select move, move to space, move, select action, choose target, attack animation, result, XP/JP, choose direction to face) seems to take awhile.
    Yes. I went straight from Jeanne D'Arc to this, and the cumbersome and redundant structure for giving orders in FFT was jarring.

Should I bother leveling up the generic characters just so, and restarting when one dies, or will they be replaced by special characters eventually anyway?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Yes. I went straight from Jeanne D'Arc to this, and the cumbersome and redundant structure for giving orders in FFT was jarring.
    /same + /agree

As a bonus, I've rediscovered the FFT soundtrack from playing what little I did; got it playing while I work.

The animation scenes I've seen so far have been amazing. And sleeve's comment about the rewritten dialog is spot on.

Damn you PSP, taunting me with FFT from your perch on my computer tower when you know damn well that I have things to do.

8. Is it ugly though since it's stretched?

9. Shit, I forgot about the review section. I'll refine and repost it later tonight.

The great thing is that the game specially rewards grinding with the addition of the Dark Knight and Onion Knight jobs. Even if versus multiplayer is completely unbalanced as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Should I bother leveling up the generic characters just so, and restarting when one dies, or will they be replaced by special characters eventually anyway?
    Don't ever let your generic characters die, unless you don't mind letting 30-40 hours of grinding go to waste. Focus on training 5-6 generics, bearing in mind that you'll receive 3 more automatically when you reach chapter 2, two of which you MUST keep (Alicia and Lavian) if you want to experience the Agrias' Birthday subquest ^_^. And don't waste any time training generics with < 60 bravery (for fighters), or < 60 faith (for mages).

In fact, skip mages altogether unless you have a hard-on for Arithmeticians

Quote Originally Posted by J2d
    Is it ugly though since it's stretched?
    Not at all. It even looks nice through the component cable.

Luso's sprite looks especially nice.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. two of which you MUST keep (Alicia and Lavian) if you want to experience the Agrias' Birthday subquest ^_^. And don't waste any time training generics with < 60 bravery (for fighters), or < 60 faith (for mages).

Nooooo I dismissed them v.v