Page 123 of 127 FirstFirst ... 109119121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1270

Thread: Breaking Bad

1. Such a needless exaggeration. The show isn't that good and while some say consistent, I say it hits the same notes over and over. The believably of Walt as a character, and more frequently, the believably of other characters whose reactions and decisions support the concept of "Walt" are often very convenient and incur disbelief. Many scenes consist of needlessly long conversations that reinforce characterizations long already established (especially those between Walt and Skyler) and could use a lot of trimming/editing and fail to advance the narrative.

I found the show to be most poignant when what was left unsaid points to motivations and developments more accurately than the actual dialogue, and the way banal daily absurdities work their way in to even exceptional circumstances. I gather that some people really enjoy the WW character and just watching him do anything is a pleasure, but I felt that while he is a tragic character, there's nothing sympathetic about his plight and I couldn't relate to his decisions (at least, past a few episodes).

The most complex and rewarding moment of the finale for me was when Walt placed Jesse's gift watch atop the payphone. Stuff to do with the Neo-Nazi's and the various paybacks had very little gravity compared to earlier arcs in the show, particularly Gus and his relationship to Walt.

Despite my tone, I agree it was a well made show and had some great moments. Much of what fans wank over seemed pretty blatant and unrewarding, but I think ultimately the characters just didn't resonate with me.

IN YOUR LIFE
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    Despite my tone, I agree it was a well made show and had some great moments. Much of what fans wank over seemed pretty blatant and unrewarding, but I think ultimately the characters just didn't resonate with me.
    If Gus 'The Chicken Man' Fring was an actual chicken, you might have liked the show more.

4. I'm getting him Los Pollos take-out bags for his Christmas gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    If Gus 'The Chicken Man' Fring was an actual chicken, you might have liked the show more.
    I didn't expect people to agree with me, but, I really have no idea what you're saying with this. An actual 'chicken' like a coward, or like a bird?

6. A bird.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    The most complex and rewarding moment of the finale for me was when Walt placed Jesse's gift watch atop the payphone.
    Gilligan explained the watch scene after the finale on Talking Bad (source of quote):

Gilligan explained that the reason Walt placed his watch (the one Jesse gave him for his 51st birthday) on top of the payphone after pretending to be the New York Times reporter was only retrofitted symbolism: The reason he had to do it was because they realized that in the flash-forward of him at Denny's that they'd shot for episode 501, Walt wasn't wearing a watch, so they had to explain where it went for continuity reasons. And so, out of necessity, they came up with what Gilligan called the "artsy fartsy" reason: It was a symbol of Walt, seeing the end is near, cutting ties with one of his "arch-nemeses," Jesse.
    The most "complex and rewarding moment" for you was a continuity issue. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

8. It doesn't matter how the artist gets there.

They talk a lot about writing themselves into corners to come up with the best scenarios and plot points. This might have come about by chance, but that's true for everything I'm this series.

9. The timing was just off and I saw no meaning in it.

I did like Walt following Jesse out for an unspoken goodbye. It would have been really easy for him to say something, but he finally learned the lesson Mike taught him.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. It was still intentional and they were aware of the way it could be interpreted. It also wasn't slapping you in the face with clumsy tension like his fucking car keys and the inconceivability of that whole machine gun scene.